• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

RWood

RWood

18 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

I disagree - there's something wrong with your pastry and/or pastry cream if it can't stand upright on its own.

The traditional way is just puff pasty and pastry cream.  I like to incorporate 1% gelatin and 3% cocoa butter into the pastry cream while it's still hot, then when it cools to body temperature blitz in about 20% butter (as a % of the milk).  Let it set overnight, then whip for 15 minutes before using - it makes it firmer and lighter.

I think you would have problems with a bavarois (unless you really pack it with gelatin), especially when you cut the cake.  They're delicate, so I'd be worried about the cake collapsing and mousse squirting out all over yourself and guests.  Then panic, depression, etc.

Doweling has nothing to do with the pastry cream. The dowels are for support when stacking multiple cake tiers on top of each other.  You wanna take the chance of it collasping, that's fine. I just choose to not ruin someone's wedding with their cake in a pile on the floor. 

RWood

RWood

18 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

I disagree - there's something wrong with your pastry and/or pastry cream if it can't stand upright on its own.

The traditional way is just puff pasty and pastry cream.  I like to incorporate 1% gelatin and 3% cocoa butter into the pastry cream while it's still hot, then when it cools to body temperature blitz in about 20% butter (as a % of the milk).  Let it set overnight, then whip for 15 minutes before using - it makes it firmer and lighter.

I think you would have problems with a bavarois (unless you really pack it with gelatin), especially when you cut the cake.  They're delicate, so I'd be worried about the cake collapsing and mousse squirting out all over yourself and guests.  Then panic, depression, etc.

Doweling has nothing to do with the pastry cream. The dowels are for support when stacking multiple cake tiers on top of each other.  You wanna take the chance of it collasping, that's fine. I just choose to not ruin someone's wedding. 

RWood

RWood

13 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Doweling has nothing to do with the pastry cream. The dowels are for support when stacking muliple cake tiers on top of each other.  You wanna take the chance of it collasping, that's fine. I just choose to not ruin someone's wedding.