• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas restaurant show

joiei

I will be in Dallas for the Southwest Restaurant Show in June. Where is the newest, most food happening place to eat in the D/FW metroplex?

Abacus is my favorite in Dallas, in Ft Worth, i have several favorites. But I want to do new chef and food. Thanks for your suggestions.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Have you eaten at Lonesome Dove Bistro in the Ft. Worth stockyards? The chef is Tim Love. If you haven't , do go and try it ( you do need reservations because it is a tiny place.)

I'm going there May 15: driving up from Austin just to visit the new museum in FW and to eat at Lonesome Dove.)

He has a website....

Two of my favorite and most exciting restaurants in Dallas proper are Ciudad D.F. [fascinating Mexican] and York St. where Sharon Hague in working. Also good, if not as unconventional, is Lola. All three are located in uptown.

Personally, you can't go wrong at Ciudad. It's far and away the best Mexican food I've eaten in this city, and a glorious room to boot.

Oh, and Foodie52, I'm very interested in what you have to say about Lonesome Dove Bistro. I'll be working in Ft. Worth for a bit next month and, from your previous posts, have planned on dining there.

Rice pie is nice.

Lonesome Dove is on my list of places to eat. And the others are now on my Dallas list. I have encountered some very good food in Ft. Worth. From what I understand the Cafe Moderne at the museum is also quite good for lunch. I have been to the museum and loved it. THe building itself is very intriguing to me. Plus, the Kimball is right across the street, probably the most beautiful museum I have ever visited.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My suggestion for dining in the Dallas area would be The Restaurant at the Mansion on Turtle Creek. Housed in a hundred year old cattle baron's home, The Restaurant is richly decorated and very beautiful. I dined there in January, and it's on the list as one my favorites.

The evening began with drinks in the rustic dark wood bar while listening to a smoky-throated jazz singer. The staff was very attentive and held our table on the enclosed verandah while we finished our cocktails. We were attended to almost immediately upon being seated and were treated to a very friendly and knowledgeable staff. The sommelier was gracious and well informed, offering clever anecdotes about the wine selections and a listing of his personal favorites at the end of the meal. For starters, we tried the Pan-roasted Nantucket Bay Scallops with Parmesan Gnocchi, Shaved White Truffles & Sorrel on Artichoke Puree. My taste buds sang. My boyfriend enjoyed the Warm Lobster Taco with Yellow Tomato Salsa & Jicama Salad; which is a popular specialty of the restaurant. For our main courses, I had the Grilled Hamachi, which was so tender and buttery that it raised the bar on seafood dishes for me entirely. My boyfriend had the Texas Steak Diane with Queso Fresco Potatoes, Grilled Asparagus & Chorizo Avocado Nacho. Delicious. I am a little embarrassed that I begin to lose all recollection of dessert and sauternes due to the sensory overload of the wonderful meal and wine. I only know it was divine. The meal was topped off by a visit to our table by Chef Dean Fearing asking for our thoughts on the evening.

The Restaurant had elegance and adventurous cuisine teamed with wonderful Texas-style friendliness. I hope to go again soon.

Thanks, Lyle!

I live in Austin and seldom get to the Dallas area, so I have very few recommendations for dining. More often than not, it's a quick meal and a hop back into the car. I'm interested in seeing what's out there, though.

Well, as you most likely know, there is a large Austin contingent here at EGullet. And, yes, it is difficult to go wrong at the Mansion. It is the home of the best dining experiences I've ever had in Dallas. I keep saying that, yet it's been I believe over a year since I've been there :shock: .

Rice pie is nice.

Hey Lyle,

You certainly need to get back, then! If you're ever in San Antonio, I'd suggest what has become my very favorite Texas restaurant, Las Canarias. It's located on the Riverwalk, in the La Mansion del Rio. I've been several times in the past few months and the experience gets better each time. The prix-fixe menu changes often and is very creative. The staff is gracious and the setting is most romantic. They even offer a Sunday brunch. Give it a try sometime.