• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boiling Milk

Monica Bhide

Okay maybe the century -- help me anyway -- please

When I boil milk ( to make desserts), not matter what I try -- low heat, high heat, different pan, I always end up with scalding the pan and having burnt milk at the bottom -- what the heck and I doing wrong. Also the milk has to boil and then reduce for a LONG TIME.

And all you chefs -- dont laugh at my question -- pity is more like it

Someone suggested I boil a bit of water first and then add the milk -- does not help

Laugh if you must, but help me

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I've also heard that if you put a small, bowl (inverted) in the pot, that'll work, but it doesn't.

The only solution I'm aware of is frequent stirring and plenty of wine and good music to take your mind off the task.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Don't know if you've ever heard Emeril say this, its pretty rare, but be careful when you're simmering milk unless you want to remodel your kitchen!!..... :biggrin:

Sorry, couldn't help myself......

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I'm guessing you have electric burners?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Not a stupid question at all.  What are you making?  I have a flat bottomed wooden spoon for this sort of thing, and it really reduces the bottom coating.

Most Indian dessert recipes call for boiling milk and then reducing it. It makes a MESS. I have found alternatives and that is fine. But I am determined not to make the milk burn -- leaves a nasty aftertaste in addition to the mess..

THere has to be a way

I will try the sugar tip and let you all know what happens.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica, don't feel bad. You would not believe how many very experienced chefs always let their milk or cream boil over! I use electric burners too and what have to be the worst pots in the world. The aforementioned tips should help. Also consider using a very large pan - a saute pan - for a larger surface area for reducing. Rinse it out with cold water. Add the milk. Whisk in 1/2 the sugar. Bring to a boil over medium/high heat. Then at simmer, move to low/medium heat. Allow to reduce slow. Do not scrape the bottom. If the pan becomes too coated with burned milk, just change pans.

Someone suggested I boil a bit of water first and then add the milk -- does not help

Laugh if you must, but help me

I've heard that you should rinse the pan with *cold* water first. :wink:

Monica, I've heard about the cold water, too. I actually called a friend that boils a lot of milk, and this is what she said. However, she never boiled the milk longer than 5 minutes after the boiling point.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge