• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Seattle crowd does Vancouver

scrat68

On our second evening in Vancouver, Chef David Hawksworth at West put together a phenomenal dinner for us. Courses, pictures and wine pairings are below.

Amuse Bouche

Ahi Tuna Sashimi

with Jalapeno Spiced Sesame Dressing

garnished with Black Sesame Seeds and Daikon Sprouts

west1.jpg

First Course

Quebec Foie Gras and Chicken Liver Parfait

on Apple Jelly with toasted Brioche

west2.jpg

Loosen Brothers Riesling “Dr. L”, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer 2001

Second Course

Pan Seared Scallops

with Carrot and Star Anise Consommé

garnished with a Concassé of Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Chives, Celery Sprouts and Hajiki Seaweed

west3.jpg

Yalumba Vigonier 2002

Third Course

Fillet of Queen Charlotte Halibut

with an Artichoke Roasting Jus and White Truffle Chive Cream Sauce

served atop a bed of Spinach

garnished with a Brunoise of Turnip and Tomato

west4.jpg

Domaine de la Ferte Givry-Antonin Rodet 1999

Fourth Course

Roast Rack of Suckling Pork with Roasting Jus

stuffed with dried Apricots

served with Nutmeg Yukon Gold Gnocchi and Roasted Apples

served on a bed of Haricot Vert

west5.jpg

Catena Malbec 2000

Fifth Course

Selection of Fine Cheese

Chaource and Epoisses

served with homemade Walnut Raisin Loaf

Okanagan Select Late Harvest Vidal 1997

Sixth Course

Dark Chocolate Almond Ganache Cake with Chocolate Chip Whipped Cream

Raspberry Tarragon Sorbet Truffle with Chocolate Tarragon Sauce

west6.jpg

Chocolate “Footprints”, Chocolate Caramels with Walnuts

west7.jpg

"Unleash the sheep!" mamster

The sommelier recommended skipping wine for the dessert course. Can't say I blame him.

That Dr. Loosen "Dr. L" bottling is a perfect example of what I (and everyone else) have been saying about the 2001 German vintage. This is a cheap bottle of wine and easy to find. I got a couple of bottles for $12 at QFC, and then found it for $11 at Whole Foods. Everyone was knocked out by its complexity, and it went perfectly with that terrine.

My favorite course overall was the scallops. I want to try to recreate that dish at home, or maybe just get some best-quality scallops, sear them with nothing but salt, and eat them one after another, from a bag.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I think the halibut was my favorite course of the meal, but then again, I'm a truffle whore. Our server did a remarkable job with the wine parings. As mamster said, the Dr L was a fantastic wine and I also thought the Malbec served with the pork was great.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

My favorite course was the foie gras parfait, simply because it's a perfect dish. Thanks to tighe for requesting it as part of our menu. Second would have to go to the pork - especially for the jus. I did ask for a sauce spoon, and if they hadn't brought it to me I was prepared to lick the plate. All of the wines were interesting and great matches with the food.

Thanks to Chef Hawkworth and the serving crew for making us feel like visiting royalty. :smile:

That pork looks like it's been blessed by the Pope. I wish I coud've been there!

So the jus, what did it taste like? Was it mostly a roasted pork flavor or were there some herb flavors as well?

That pork looks like it's been blessed by the Pope. I wish I coud've been there!

So the jus, what did it taste like? Was it mostly a roasted pork flavor or were there some herb flavors as well?

I'd say it tasted mostly of roasted pork with maybe some white wine reduction and sweetness from the dried fruit. Very deep and rich, but not fatty at all.

It tasted like something you wanted to get into and swim around in, thats what it bleepin' tasted like!! :biggrin:

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946