• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hanami (Cherry blossom viewing)

torakris

I normally avoid the places were their are the big office hanamis going on as I don't really care for public drunkeness.

Me too. I don't want to see drunken office workers (and university students) get carried away. The ugly side of Japanese groupism...

• 10 months later...

Hana yori dango.

:biggrin:

Hana yori dango

" If I have to choose, I'd take food before flowers."

Proverb that expresses the priority people give to things that are real and tangible in contrast to those that are abstract and difficult to grasp.

and more on hanami here

So esssentially they are more interested in the food and parties than the flowers themselves...........

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Hana yori dango...how about "hana yori danshi" ?

I religiously buy sakura-mochi (Kansai-style, thank you) every year, but what I secretly prefer are good kusa-mochi, made from the new yomogi shoots which are at their best around cherry blossom time!

So in fact, I'm not even looking at the blossoms, just scavenging for yomogi in the grass verges!

Come to think of it, it's very strange that Japanese have never got heavily into edible flowers other than cherry blossoms themselves. There are plenty of native violets and dandelions...what's stopping them, I wonder?

• 1 month later...

Yay! I have not been on e-gullet for a while, and I was checking in today to get some ideas for Hanami... I am going this saturday and sunday, and I am sneaking a bottle of my favorite sake, Tousetsuka, into a state park with the bentos. Wish me luck for not getting arrested with alcohol in public!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Wish me luck for not getting arrested with alcohol in public!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

If you were in Japan it wouldn't be a problem! :biggrin:

let us know how your bentos were....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"