• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@liuzhou  

please tell us more about this knife :

kkkk.thumb.jpg.c10946b1c2d866faa16c5ea67b5d1176.jpg

very interesting shape ive not seen before how is it meant to be used ?

ie that ship blade , uv so many others to choose from

That is my most prized knife. Almost my most prized possession.

Several years ago there was a Xinjiang restaurant called AliBaBa, here in town. Xinjiang, for those who don't know, is China's westernmost province bordering Mongolia. Kyrgystan, Khazhakstain, Afghanistan and Pakistan. It is mainly Muslim. Their food is wonderful, but totally different from what most people think of as Chinese.

I ate there regularly with friends and got to know the boss, a Xinjiang native, quite well. He made a point of coming out of the kitchen to say a word or two before rushing back to cook the next order.

In 2003, he announced his upcoming retirement and I, with a couple of friends, went to his restaurant for its last service.The place was rammed full. Towards the end of the evening, he came out and announced to the entire restaurant that there would be no charge for dinner that night, but it would be a thank you to his loyal customers for their support over the years.

Tears were shed.

Then, after the crowd had thinned a bit, to my amazement, he came up to me and handed me the knife he always carried on his front-of-house visits. He said he wanted me to have it as he thought I might actually use and value it, now that he no longer would.

There is a story about Johnny Cash handing Bob Dylan his guitar as a mark of respect which blew Dylan's mind. I know exactly how he felt

That was the last time I saw him. He moved back to his hometown many, many miles away.

But your question was "how is it meant to be used?" My answer is "I don't really know." The only times I ever saw him use it were a) to slice naan bread (the local staple visually resembling pizza bases) into manageable segments and b) to slice mutton from the Xinjiang version of gyros. I think he mainly carried it for effect. It is 40cm / 15¾ inches long in total; the blade being 28cm / 11 inches long.

kebab2.thumb.jpg.f4c560c3c758f2917ade24324baa79b6.jpg

Xinjiang style mutton gyro

I mainly use it as a bread knife. Although not serrated and although I do have a bread knife, I've always kept this one as sharp as I can. I also use it to open durians. I used to use it to cut watermelons, but then acquired a dedicated watermelon knife. I do regret that I don't use it more.

And I miss him and his restaurant still.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@liuzhou  

Several years ago there was a Xinjiang restaurant called AliBaBa, here in town. Xinjiang, for those who don't know, is China's westernmost province bordering Mongolia. Kyrgystan, Khazhakstain, Afghanistan and Pakistan. It is mainly Muslim. Their food is wonderful, but totally different from what most people think of as Chinese.

I ate there regularly with friends and got to know the boss, a Xinjiang native, quite well. He made a point of coming out of the kitchen to say a word or two before rushing back to cook the next order.

In 2003, he announced his upcoming retirement and I, with a couple of friends, went to his restaurant for its last service.The place was rammed full. Towards the end of the evening, he came out and announced to the entire restaurant that there would be no charge for dinner that night, but it would be a thank you to his loyal customers for their support over the years.

Tears were shed.

Then, after the crowd had thinned a bit, to my amazement, he came up to me and handed me the knife he always carried on his front-of-house visits. He said he wanted me to have it as he thought I might actually use and value it, now that he no longer would.

There is a story about Johnny Cash handing Bob Dylan his guitar as a mark of respect which blew Dylan's mind. I know exactly how he felt

That was the last time I saw him. He moved back to his hometown many, many miles away.

But your question was "how is it meant to be used?" My answer is "I don't really know." The only times I ever saw him use it were a) to slice naan bread (the local staple visually resembling pizza bases) into manageable segments and b) to slice mutton from the Xinjiang version of gyros. I think he mainly carried it for effect. It is 40cm / 15¾ inches long in total; the blade being 28cm / 11 inches long.

I mainly use it as a bread knife. Although not serrated and although I do have a bread knife, I've always kept this one as sharp as I can. I do regret that I don't use it more.

liuzhou

liuzhou

52 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@liuzhou  

Tears were shed.

Then, after the crowd had thinned a bit, to my amazement, he came up to me and handed me the knife he always carried on his front-of-house visits. He said he wanted me to have it as he thought I might actually use it, now that he no longer would.

But your question was "how is it meant to be used". My answer is "I don't really know." The only times I ever saw him use it were a) to slice naan bread (the local staple visually resembling pizza bases) into manageable segments and b) to slice mutton from the Xinjiang version of gyros. I think he mainly carried it for effect. It is 40cm / 15¾ inches long in total; the blade being 28cm / 11 inches long.

I mainly use it as a  bread knife. Although not serrated and although I do have a bread knife, I've always kept this one as sharp as I can. I do regret that I don't use it more.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@liuzhou  

That is my my most prized knife. Almost my most prized possession.

Several years ago there was a Xinjiang restaurant called AliBaba, here in town. Xinjiang, for those who don't know, is China's westernmost province bordering Mongolia. Kyrgystan, Khazhakstain, Afghanistan and Pakistan. It is mainly Muslim. Their food is wonderful, but totally different from what most people think of as Chinese.

Tears were shed.

Then, after the crowd had thinned a bit, to my amazement, he came up to me and handed me the knife he always carried on his front-of-house visits. He said he wanted me to have it as he thought I might actually use it, now that he no longer would.

But your question was "how is it meant to be used". My answer is "I don't really know." The only times I ever saw him use it were a) to slice naan bread (the local staple visually resembling pizza bases) into manageable segments and b) to slice mutton from the Xinjiang version of gyros. I think he mainly carried it for effect. It is 40cm / 15¾ inches long in total; the blade being 28cm /11 inches long.

I mainly use it as a  bread knife. Although not serrated and although I do have a bread knife, I've always kept this one as sharp as I can. I do regret that I don't use it more.