• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Euro Cave and other wine coolers

jeffperez62

Went to wine enthusiast over in Elmsford today to look into a wine cooler (200 bottle size) Any suggestions , advice or recommendations are appreciated

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Be aware with Eurocaves that the pullout shelves hold a max of 13 bottles...and the shelves are not cheap...the fixed shelves can support 70 or so bottles...it is really a pain to dig to the back row on the bottom of a shelf to try to find that "one bottle" you are looking for...make yourself a "map" of what is on each shelf so when you do have to dig for one it won't drive you nuts :wacko: ....

I bot a VinatageKeeper 250 bottle capacity last year . Am pleased with it so far. Wide range of prices out there. Kinda comes down to whether you care about temp control alone or temp and humidity control. If you have a stable envitronment to put it (humidity wise) just buy temp control. Saves a lot of $$. Also depends on how fancy you want it to look. ie. Is it for display or not?

One nice thing about the Vintage Keeper line is that the cellars can be expanded. For example if the 250 bottle unit proves too small over time you can purchase a kit with new top, bottom, door, racks, etc. to bring capacity up to 500 bottles for far less than the cost of an additional cellar.

Jeff....mine is in basement as well , but away from young children. I like the glass doors b/c I have started to label the consumption dates on necks of bottles and I can quickly glance thru what is drinking at moment.