• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hotplate Recommendation Wanted

Shel_B

The stove in my kitchen is electric and far from ideal for using the Moka Pot.  I want a small hotplate to keep on or close to the stove for the Moka Pot, maybe my little 1-quart pan, butter warmer, and the like. I've never owned a hotplate before, so my request is a blend of desire and ignorance. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

I'd like a flat plate rather than coils for the element;

Small size is a big concern. If the plate diameter is about 6 inches and the unit's footprint is not much greater, I'll be in Hotplate Heaven.  Do you know of anything that may come close to fitting the bill? 

Induction won't work.

I'd like to keep the price to a maximum of around $50.00 and will consider spending more for something exceptional.

... Shel