• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

_20240925111744.thumb.jpg.ac45df4c37a303e5887d2ffb9cb71a73.jpg

Bulk buying of food is rare here in China, largely because, in general, people prefer shopping for fresh food on a daily basis. Canned and packaged foods are much less common than in the west. In fact canned foods are very rare. Supermarkets carry very little frozen foods - mostly dumplings.

Maybe this explains an odd phenomenon I’ve often encountered. Having successfully utilised some Belgian apple beer into moules marinières, I decided to get in a few bottles for future use – I like me some mussels.

The only store I’ve found stocking said beer is on the other side of the city so I order it for delivery. It turns up within the hour.

On the shopping app, the company’s ad lists:

1 bottle = ¥9.50

6 bottles = ¥73.50 (12.2 per bottle)

12 bottles = ¥139.50 (11.63 per bottle

24 bottles = ¥295.00 (12.30 per bottle)

The more you buy, the more expensive it gets! Not an uncommon feature of Chinese shopping. In one supermarket I used to frequent it was cheaper to take all the cans out of a six pack of beer and put them into your basket separately – one of the staff often came to help me! They were then scanned individually and saved me a fortune over the years. The staff member just shrugged when I questioned her. Not her job. I've seen the same with instant noodles and other goods.

I'm planning on buying one a day until I build up a collection!

Image from Meituan shopping app.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Bulk buying of food is rare here in China, largely because, in general, people prefer shopping for fresh food on a daily basis. Canned and packaged foods are much less common than in the west. In fact canned foods are very rare.

Maybe this explains an odd phenomenon I’ve often encountered. Having successfully utilised some Belgian apple beer into moules marinières, I decided to get in a few bottles for future use – I like me some mussels.

The only store I’ve found stocking said beer is on the other side of the city so I order it for delivery. It turns up within the hour.

1 bottle = ¥9.50

The more you buy, the more expensive it gets! Not an uncommon feature of Chinese shopping. In one supermarket I used to frequent it was cheaper to take all the cans out of a six pack of beer and put them into your basket separately – one of the staff often came to help me! They were then scanned individually and saved me a fortune over the years. The staff member just shrugged when I questioned her. Not her job. I've seen the same with instant noodles and other goods.

Image from Meituan shopping app.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Bulk buying of food is rare here in China, largely because, in general, people prefer shopping for fresh food on a daily basis. Canned and packaged foods are much less common than in the west. In fact canned foods are very rare.

1 bottle = ¥9.50