• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

vonolen

vonolen

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I bet it could. 

Where would I find a fixed chart/equation for the conversion of sour salt to equal a given amount of lemon juice in a recipe. 

I just did a search for "1 tsp sour salt = ? lemon juice". 

One source says "1 tsp of powdered citric acid is equivalent to ¼ cup lemon juice" stating that Sour salt is simply the powdered form of citric acid.  Substitute 1/8 teaspoon of citric acid (sour salt) in 1 tablespoon of water for every 1 tablespoon of lemon juice called for in pan sauces to risotto to hummus.  That math doesn't "add up'.

Another says "1 Tbsp of lemon juice = 1/2 tsp of sour salt. 

One other says "One teaspoon (5 grams) of citric acid is equal in acidity to about 1/2 cup (120 ml) of lemon juice, which agrees with the second part of that first answer, but refers to pan sauce.

Am I nit pickin' here? I just want to get it right.  Long history of less than Ideal results with cheese sauces before the recipe I cited..

vonolen

vonolen

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I bet it could. 

Where would I find a fixed chart/equation for the conversion of sour salt to equal a given amount of lemon juice in a recipe. 

I just did a search for "1 tsp sour salt = ? lemon juice". 

One source says "1 tsp of powdered citric acid is equivalent to ¼ cup lemon juice" stating that Sour salt is simply the powdered form of citric acid.  Substitute 1/8 teaspoon of citric acid (sour salt) in 1 tablespoon of water for every 1 tablespoon of lemon juice called for in pan sauces to risotto to hummus.  That math doesn't "add up'.

Another says "1 Tbsp of lemon juice = 1/2 tsp of sour salt. 

One other says "One teaspoon (5 grams) of citric acid is equal in acidity to about 1/2 cup (120 ml) of lemon juice, which agrees with the second part of that first answer, but refers to pan sauce.

Am I nit pickin' here? I just want to get it right.  Long history less than Ideal results with cheese sauce.