• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Sid Post

Sid Post

Amazon link update

I am looking to rebuild my house and have a sketchy cooktop today so, I am looking to get a reasonable quality double burner portable cooktop.  I think a sealed cast iron version would work best.  I have some aluminum pans so, induction options are totally out.  An open coil burner is a possibility but, in the past, I found them to be low quality overall and a pain to clean.

I won't be super critical with how it cooks but, it needs to be able to make omelets and do a hard sear on a pan steak.  Ideally, It would be in the under $100 range but, I am not opposed to spending more for the right unit.  If the price becomes too much though, I can always get a traditional stove and tie it into the barn's electric welder service for power.  I will also have a "Coleman" gas cooker to do simple things if power goes down during construction but, I don't want to live all Summer depending on a camping stove!

This is sort of what I am looking for: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JCECBNI

Would a "Griddler" or Foreman grill be a good complement?  I am unfamiliar with the newer versions of these but, older experiences were not good with the inability to pan sear a steak.  However, newer versions probably do a good panini and similar things.  My cast iron skillet can get screamin' hot for a good steak sear so, a Griddler might be superfluous for my needs and see little to no use.  Thoughts?

TIA,

Sid

Sid Post

Sid Post

I am looking to rebuild my house and have a sketchy cooktop today so, I am looking to get a reasonable quality double burner portable cooktop.  I think a sealed cast iron version would work best.  I have some aluminum pans so, induction options are totally out.  An open coil burner is a possibility but, in the past, I found them to be low quality overall and a pain to clean.

I won't be super critical with how it cooks but, it needs to be able to make omelets and do a hard sear on a pan steak.  Ideally, It would be in the under $100 range but, I am not opposed to spending more for the right unit.  If the price becomes too much though, I can always get a traditional stove and tie it into the barn's electric welder service for power.  I will also have a "Coleman" gas cooker to do simple things if power goes down during construction but, I don't want to live all Summer depending on a camping stove!

This is sort of what I am looking for: (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Would a "Griddler" or Foreman grill be a good complement?  I am unfamiliar with the newer versions of these but, older experiences were not good with the inability to pan sear a steak.  However, newer versions probably do a good panini and similar things.  My cast iron skillet can get screamin' hot for a good steak sear so, a Griddler might be superfluous for my needs and see little to no use.  Thoughts?

TIA,

Sid