• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milk Street marinating container

dans

I was watching an episode on Milk Street the other night and Chris Kimball showed something he uses for marinating (although he didn't use it to make the pickles he was demonstrating).  This was episode S7E9.  The container was interesting in that it was rectangular and had a lid with a "press" that you could screw down to hold the product completely in the marinating liquid.  I had never heard of such a thing and did a quick web search and didn't find it.  Does anyone know what this is?

2 hours ago, dans said:

I was watching an episode on Milk Street the other night and Chris Kimball showed something he uses for marinating (although he didn't use it to make the pickles he was demonstrating).  This was episode S7E9.  The container was interesting in that it was rectangular and had a lid with a "press" that you could screw down to hold the product completely in the marinating liquid.  I had never heard of such a thing and did a quick web search and didn't find it.  Does anyone know what this is?

Japanese pickle press?

• Like 1

I have one or two of those and use them mostly to expel water/liquid from fruits or vegetables.  I last used it on cabbage when I was making sauerkraut.  The older models had a spring connected to the lid and are more effective in applying pressure rather than the screw down plate which I found to be less effective.

• Like 1