• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

OlyveOyl

OlyveOyl

NYT Darina Allen (Ballymaloe) Irish Soda Bread..I substitute 50 g Odlums very coarse wheat flour for 50 g AP.  increase buttermilk by probably another quarter cup, because of the extra coarse flour.  But…a wet dough makes a better loaf, internal temperature should be 205-210*.  I bake in a Corningware Soufflé shaped dish, ( parchment) covered for probably 25 minutes, remove cover, let continue to brown, about 10 more minutes, if browning too much, replace cover. Wrap in a towel immediately and let cool before cutting. Interior temperature is critical or bread “ could” be gummy.

IMG_5954.jpeg

OlyveOyl

OlyveOyl

NYT Darina Allen (Ballymaloe) Irish Soda Bread..I substitute 50 g Odlums very coarse wheat flour for 50 g AP.  increase buttermilk by probably another quarter cup, because of the extra coarse flour.  But…a wet dough makes a better loaf, internal temperature should be 205-210*.  I bake in a Corningware Soufflé shaped dish, ( parchment) covered for probably 25 minutes, remove cover, let continue to brown, about 10 more minutes, if browning too much, replace cover. Wrap in a towel immediately and let cool before cutting. Interior temperature is critical or bread “ could” be gummy.