• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brûléed Mustard

Shel_B

I've heard of brûléed mustard, and have searched online to learn more about it, but have come up with no recipes or techniques and very few references.

Has anyone done this, or can I get a pointer to a recipe or technique?  I'd like to know more about it. Thanks!

• Like 2

... Shel

All I saw at first in a quick Google search was a subreddit entry

Mustard - Fried Porkchop sandwich with Bruleed Spicy Mustard

I saw this idea on the first episode of the revival on Iron Chef America and have been dying for an excuse to try it. The caramelized sugar turns the spicy brown Mustard into a deeper honey-mustard like flavor that was really awesome.

"Revival" would mean the 2018 reboot; Episode 1's challenger specialized in German/American cuisine, so this could well be the source. A Google search for <Iron Chef America Season 13> showed that  it's still available for streaming on Discovery Plus, fuboTV, Max, Philo, Hulu, Sling TV, and Amazon Prime Video (the last three only with a premium subscription). If you don't have any of those, I can watch it and see what shows up. 

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

3 hours ago, Alex said:

All I saw at first in a quick Google search was a subreddit entry

"Revival" would mean the 2018 reboot; Episode 1's challenger specialized in German/American cuisine, so this could well be the source. A Google search for <Iron Chef America Season 13> showed that  it's still available for streaming on Discovery Plus, fuboTV, Max, Philo, Hulu, Sling TV, and Amazon Prime Video (the last three only with a premium subscription). If you don't have any of those, I can watch it and see what shows up. 

Thank you for taking the time to search.  I found that information and tried to load the video on Amazon.  I received a message that the video isn't available in my area.  Your post led me to other ideas to explore.

However, I did learn that the mustard used was a "spicy brown" variety. I've been playing with a couple of Dijons, and while my results were OK, using the spicy brown mustard is certainly worth a try.  My initial experiments used Turbinado sugar, which I'll use with the spicy brown mustard, and I'll also try Demerara sugar which, it seems, is sometimes recommended for a brûlée.  I also want to try toasting the sugar, something I've done with white sugar which gave good results in the simple desserts I made with it.

My "experiments" consisted of mixing different percentages of sugar into the Dijon mustard..

Edited by Shel_B
Clarity of intent (log)
  • Like 2

... Shel

32 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

Thank you for taking the time to search.  I found that information and tried to load the video on Amazon.  I received a message that the video isn't available in my area. 

You're welcome. We have Philo, and now I'm curious, so maybe I'll see if the episode is available by me.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

@Shel_B and @Alex, could you please describe the volumes and method for brûléed mustard? This sounds intriguing!

I can't help you as I'm trying to find a recipe or technique for doing this.  My experiments are just that, and I have not as yet reached any conclusions.

... Shel

24 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

I can't help you as I'm trying to find a recipe or technique for doing this.  My experiments are just that, and I have not as yet reached any conclusions.

. . . yet 🤣

6 hours ago, TdeV said:

@Shel_B and @Alex, could you please describe the volumes and method for brûléed mustard? This sounds intriguing!

Well, I watched the episode; no brûléed mustard was seen.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Well, I watched the episode; no brûléed mustard was seen.

Thanks for checking.  Do you know which chef made the mustard?

... Shel

5 hours ago, Shel_B said:

Thanks for checking.  Do you know which chef made the mustard?

No idea, sad to say

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ColinDunklin said:

Have you found the recipe?

No, and I've found little more than the original mention of the technique <shrug>

• Sad 1

... Shel