• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

On 2/20/2024 at 6:02 AM, chromedome said:

One of those silly anecdotes I remember from a childhood Reader's Digest was from a family newly arrived here, knowing no English, who went out looking for something familiar as a quick and easy meal for that first night. They spotted something immediately recognizable - a container with a big, easily identifiable photo of fried chicken - and bought it, only to discover that it was Crisco.

Apparently, the Gerber baby food company ran into a problem in Africa when they started selling their products there.  Due to multiple languages and general illiteracy, people were used to pictures that represented the contents of the container.  Needless to say, a picture of a cute, smiling baby on the jar did not evoke the intended response.

Edit: Okay, maybe not.  Debunked. (saw it on QI, I think)

IndyRob

IndyRob

On 2/20/2024 at 6:02 AM, chromedome said:

One of those silly anecdotes I remember from a childhood Reader's Digest was from a family newly arrived here, knowing no English, who went out looking for something familiar as a quick and easy meal for that first night. They spotted something immediately recognizable - a container with a big, easily identifiable photo of fried chicken - and bought it, only to discover that it was Crisco.

Apparently, the Gerber baby food company ran into a problem in Africa when they started selling their products there.  Due to multiple languages and general illiteracy, people were used to pictures that represented the contents of the container.  Needless to say, a picture of a cute, smiling baby on the jar did not evoke the intended response.