• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

I grew up in a working class community in Kansas City called Strawberry Hill. It is on the high bluffs above the Kansas River. Cattycorner across the street from our apartment,  there was a tavern that served food and welcomed children and women. ( Unlike most beer joints at that time in the area) Once in a while Dad would take us over there for shrimp.  That shrimp tasted a lot like this French recipe which is cooked in a vegetable stock then left to cool in the stock, adding its flavor to the shrimp and turning the broth  into consommé of shrimp.  I decided to serve it with rice and some broth and corn on the cob. 

IMG_1629.jpeg

I grew up in a working class community in Kansas City called Strawberry Hill. It is on the high bluffs above the Kansas River. Cattycorner across the street there was a tavern that served food and welcomed children and women. ( Unlike most beer joints at that time in the area) Once in a while Dad would take us over there for shrimp.  That shrimp tasted a lot like this French recipe which is cooked in a vegetable stock then left to cool in the stock, adding its flavor to the shrimp and turning the broth  into consommé of shrimp.  I decided to serve it with rice and some broth and corn on the cob. 

IMG_1629.jpeg