• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Since I am on a bread making jag, I thought I'd try some decorative scoring.  I looked at examples on line.  Some of them use dark bread and brushed a layer of white flour over the top for contrast.  I didn't see any examples of what i did but it was worth a try. I used white flour for the bread and mixed a small amount of cocoa with white flour to dust over the top.  I have read that they use cocoa in rye flour to make it dark so I hope it tastes OK. We will make sandwiches with it for supper.  This was my third attempt.  I have some ideas for way to improve my earlier failures.

image-4.jpeg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Since I am on a bread making jag, I thought I'd try some decorative scoring.  I looked at examples on line.  Some of them use dark bread and brushed a layer of white flour over the top for contrast.  I didn't see any examples of what i did but it was worth a try. I used white flour for the bread and mixes a small amount of cocoa with white flour to dust over the top.  I have read that they use cocoa in rye flour to make it dark so I hope it tastes OK. We will make sandwiches with it for supper.  This was my third attempt.  I have some ideas for way to improve my earlier failures.

image-4.jpeg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Since I am on a bread making jag, I thought I'd try some decorative scoring.  I looked at examples on line.  Some of them use dark bread and brusher a layer of white flour over the top before cutting into it.  I didn't see any examples of what i did but it was worth a try. I used white flour for the bread and mixes a small amount of cocoa with white flour to dust over the top.  I have read that they use cocoa in rye flour to make it dark so I hope it tasted OK. We will make sandwiches with it for supper.  This was my third attempt.  I got some ideas for way to improve my earlier failures.

image-4.jpeg