• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

When reading about dark soya I understand that it is saltier than light or regular soya sauce.

🙄🙄🙄

It's the other way round. Dark is less salty and mainly used for colour.

Molasses sounds totally wrong to me, although some cheap (and nasty) brands do add molasses to their recipe. Too sweet. Can you find mushroom soy sauce? If not, Kikkoman is technically more akin to a dark soy sauce than to light.

I agree that rice vinegar is not a substitute for mirin, but I don't agree that the vinegar in the recipe is being used as a substitute. It is surely being used to give a hint of acid to balance the rest of the sauce, which you wouldn't get from mirin.

Now I'm going to put my eyes back in and have a long lie down.

Good luck with the recipe. It sounds fine.

liuzhou

liuzhou

57 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

When reading about dark soya I understand that it is saltier than light or regular soya sauce.

🙄🙄🙄

It's the other way round. Dark is less salty and mainly used for colour.

Molasses sounds totally wrong to me. Too sweet. Can you find mushroom soy sauce? If not, Kikkoman is technically more akin to a dark soy sauce than to light.

I agree that rice vinegar is not a substitute for mirin, but I don't agree that the vinegar in the recipe is being used as a substitute. It is surely being used to give a hint of acid to balance the rest of the sauce, which you wouldn't get from mirin.

Now I'm going to put my eyes back in and have a long lie down.

Good luck with the recipe. It sounds fine.