• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

As you noted "poison" is not a standardized term around the globe. Even in the US where I live there are notations on some things about possible toxicity - how much of that is protection against legal action? Many foods one could eat are possibly toxic in certain quantities. Societies where a  food has historicaly been eaten a certain way - I lean to that experience.  Apricot kernels anyone? What foods are you interested in? Quantity ingested v. body mass is certainy a factor. As to fermentation - well us non scoence humans have been fermenting/preserving for ages . My dad in his poor household in Croatia had the salt pork and the fermented cabbage all winter - made per the verbal passed down formulas. He is coming up on 101. and still a vocal PITA

heidih

heidih

As you noted "poison:" is not a standardized term around the globe. Even in the US where I live there are notations on soe thongs about possible toxicity - how much of that is protectio agaonst legal action? Many foods one could eat are possibly toxic in certain quantities.mInj societies where a  food has historicaly been eaten a certain way - I lean to that experience.  Apricot kernels anyone? Whar foods ar you interested in? Quantity ingested v. body ,ass is certainy a factor. As to fermentation - well us non scoence humans have been fermenting/preserving for ages . My dad in his poor household in Croatia had the salt pork and the fermented cabbage all winter - made per the verbal passed down formulas. He is coming up on 101. and still a vocal PITA