• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Looks like what we call samphire. I eat it all the time, usually with fish or shellfish, but it's also nice with eggs, boiled potatoes and rice dishes (risotto, "paella" etc). When buying something from a fishmonger I always get 100-200 grams samphire to go with my fishy meals. Salty and briny. Goes well with all things from the sea.

I just toss it briefly in hot fat (of choice). Or blanch (and shock in ice water). I also like it cooked in cream or add to something creamy. Must not be exposed to heat too long or it'll turn unsightly brown. Do not add any salt to your food as the samphire is salty enough.

You can also pickle samphire (not for me, common on Balearic islands). Results in a loss of colour, taste and the crunch.

IUrMNqt.jpg

AOi8DDk.jpg

uhwsO4y.jpg

qEDUCjh.jpg

M8XdqbS.jpg

g7DpzxM.jpg

Love sea vegetables. There are many kinds of sea veg in Japan and a small amount is added to certain dishes on Okinawa islands. Every. meal.

But none is this pretty. "Caviar seaweed", I've only seen and eaten this on Okinawa islands.
a7JyWOR.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

Looks like what we call samphire. I eat it all the time, usually with fish or shellfish, but it's also nice with eggs, boiled potatoes and rice dishes (risotto, "paella" etc). When buying something from a fishmonger I always get 100-200 grams samphire to go with my fishy meals. Salty and briny. Goes well with all things from the sea.

I just toss it briefly in hot fat (of choice). Or blanch (and shock in ice water). I also like it cooked in cream or add to something creamy. Must not be exposed to heat too long or it'll turn unsightly brown. Do not add any salt to your food as the samphire is salty enough.

You can also pickle samphire (not for me, common on Balearic islands). Results in a loss of colour, taste and the crunch.

IUrMNqt.jpg

AOi8DDk.jpg

uhwsO4y.jpg

qEDUCjh.jpg

M8XdqbS.jpg

g7DpzxM.jpg

Love sea vegetables. There are many kinds of sea veg there and a small amount is added to certain dishes on Okinawa islands. Every. meal.

But none is this pretty. "Caviar seaweed", I've only seen and eaten this on Okinawa islands.
a7JyWOR.jpg