• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Light Brioche Bread

Tropicalsenior

Light Brioche Bread

Yield: One Bread Loaf Plus 

20230115_113558.thumb.jpg.696da5258f0bb4d359a82e47bb354160.jpg

This should probably be called mock brioche because it is neither light nor is it actually brioche. But it is an excellent dough for sandwich bread, hamburger buns, cinnamon rolls or any use that calls for a soft, sweet bread.

3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 

2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup butter, softened

1 large egg

1/2 cup warm water 

3/4 cup warm milk

In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flour, salt, yeast, and sugar. Using the dough hook attachment, mix until the flour is completely aerated. Add the softened butter and mix until the butter is the size of crumbs.

Stir in warm water, milk, and egg. You may not need all of the milk mixture. Add only until you have a soft, not sticky dough. Run the mixer on low (I use #2 on my Kitchen Aid) until a dough forms. Knead for 5 minutes, rest for 10 minutes and knead for 10 minutes longer. Remove from the mixing bowl and shape into a ball with a firm top surface. Place it on a cutting board or the surface of your counter and cover with a large bowl.

Let the dough rise until it has doubled in size, 1 to  2 hours  (See Note).

This will give you about 30 to 32 oz. of dough, depending on your flour. I use 15 oz of dough for a loaf of bread and use the rest for dinner rolls, hamburger rolls, cinnamon rolls or whatever else that I decide to bake that day.

If you have a scale, weigh each piece to guarantee that they’re all the same size.

Shape the smaller rolls first and set to rise while you shape the bread. One way of shaping the loaf is to roll it to an 8 x 12 to 14 inch rectangle and starting at the short end, roll it, jelly roll style, into a loaf shape. Place it seam side down in a greased 8 x 4 inch bread pan.

My preferred method of shaping bread dough is to shape it into three equal sized balls and place in a greased 8 x 4 inch bread pan.

Plan on at least 45 minutes second rise for bread and at least 30 minutes for smaller items.

Cover your bread with plastic wrap or a light damp cloth while it is rising.

When the bread is finished with the 2nd rise, gently brush each one with milk. About 15 or 20 minutes before your bread has fully risen the second time, Heat your oven to 350o and place a skillet or metal baking dish on the oven floor. Before the dough goes in, add about 1/2 cup of boiling water to the pan to create steam. This will help keep the bread nice and moist. Bake the loaves for about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Smaller items will bake in 12 to 15 minutes. I like to brush the top of the bread with butter while it is hot out of the oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Notes: Giving your dough enough time to rise is crucial in bread baking. Rise times will vary depending on temperature and climate. Be patient and let your dough, not your timer, tell you when it is ready.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2