• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, C. sapidus said:

Roasted peppers with black beans looks very similar to a Fuchsia Dunlop recipe that we make frequently. She calls it "dou chi shao la jiao".

Dunlop's 豆豉烧辣椒 (dòu chǐ shāo là jiāo) is the same thing. Saying  辣椒 (là jiāo) or (jiāo) is the same as saying hot chilies or chillies. No real difference.

The main difference, if I remember correctly, is that she uses a technique involving frying whereas in what I had today, the peppers were roasted. (shāo) covers a number of different techniques. It is the same word as the Cantonese siu as in char siu, 叉烧 (chā shāo).

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, C. sapidus said:

Roasted peppers with black beans looks very similar to a Fuchsia Dunlop recipe that we make frequently. She calls it "dou chi shao la jiao".

Dunlop's 豆豉烧辣椒 (dòu chǐ shāo là jiāo) is the same thing. Saying  辣椒 (là jiāo) or (jiāo) is the same as saying hot chilies or chillies. No real difference.

The main difference, if I remember correcrly, is that she uses a technique involving frying whereas in what I had today, the peppers were roasted. (shāo) covers a number of different techniques.

liuzhou

liuzhou

39 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

The main difference is she uses a technique involving frying whereas in what I had today, the peppers were roasted.

liuzhou

liuzhou

38 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Dunlop's 豆豉烧辣椒 (dòu chǐ shāo là jiāo) is the same thing. 辣椒 (là jiāo) or (jiāo) is the same as sayng hot chilies or chillies. The main difference is she uses a technique involving frying whereas in what I had today, the peppers were roasted.

liuzhou

liuzhou

36 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Dunlop's 豆豉烧辣椒 (dòu chǐ shāo là jiāo) is the same thing. 辣椒 (là jiāo) or (jiāo) is the same as sayng hot chilies or chillies. The main difference is she uses a technique involving frying whereas in what I had today, the peppers were roasted.

liuzhou

liuzhou

36 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

liuzhou

liuzhou

31 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Dunlop's 豆豉烧辣椒 (dòu chǐ shāo là jiāo) is the same thing. 辣椒 and 椒 is the same as sayng hot chilies or chillies. The main difference is she uses a technique involving frying whereas in what I had today, the peppers were roasted.

liuzhou

liuzhou

29 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

豆豉烧辣椒 (dòu chǐ shāo là jiāo) is similar and common. The main difference is (shāo) is a technique involving frying whereas in what I had today, the peppers are roasted.

liuzhou

liuzhou

17 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

豆豉烧辣椒 (dòu chǐ shāo là jiāo) is similar and common. The difference is (shāo) is a technique involving frying whereas in what I had today, the peppers are roasted.