• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

I wasn't able to pre-salt the salmon for this dish for as long as I would've liked (overnight, basically), but I got the Donabe out:

IMG_9579.thumb.jpeg.2b7c4c625b643117d7adf187b8237196.jpeg

Fresh wild sockeye (with a little albumin coagulation), with hijiki and ginger. Koshihikari rice, cooked in dashi, sake, mirin, white soy, sesame. Sometimes I forget how good donabe rice is, because it's so easy to just turn to the rice cooker. But this rice had a lovely crust, and look at how beautifully separate the grains are...just fantastic.

IMG_9576.thumb.jpeg.7b02ba62b5bdc8fca797ff269efd5b72.jpeg

Fresh spinach goma-ae.  Other than having to wash 2 big bunches of fresh spinach 3 times each, the sesame dressing makes the spinach delish.

weinoo

weinoo

I wasn't able to pre-salt the salmon for this dish for as long as I would've liked (overnight, basically), but I got the Donabe out:

IMG_9579.thumb.jpeg.2b7c4c625b643117d7adf187b8237196.jpeg

Fresh wild sockeye (with a little albumin coagulation), with hijiki and ginger. Koshihikari rice, cooked in dashi, sake, mirin, white soy, sesame. Sometimes I forget how good donabe rice is, because it's so easy to just turn to the rice cooker. But this rice had a lovely crust, and look at how beautifully separate the grains are...just fantastic.

IMG_9576.thumb.jpeg.7b02ba62b5bdc8fca797ff269efd5b72.jpeg

Fresh spinach goma-ae.  Other than having to wash 2 big bunches of fresh spinach 3 times each, the sesame dressing makes the spinach delish