• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

This is what is commonly known as Kung-po or Kung-pao chicken everywhere but China!

宫保鸡丁 (gōng bǎo jī dīng), literally Palace Defense Chicken Cubes. Fuchia Dunlop tells the story of how its name was changed for insane political reasons in the Cultural Revolution (1966-1976 approx) to either 宫爆鸡丁 (gōng bào jī dīng, "fast fried chicken cubes") or 糊辣鸡丁 (hú là jī dīng, or "seared chillies chicken cubes") until it reverted in the 1980s.

This version is from a local Sichuan restaurant. Not the best I've had but fine, if somewhat overloaded with the green chilllies and celery. The best I've had was in Chengdu, capital of Sichuan. Of course.

Served with rice, of course.

gongbaojiding1.thumb.jpg.2c8ae44ef25b89fa0dbaaa9a11c9ab3f.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

This is what is commonly known as Kung-po or Kung-pao chicken everywhere but China!

宫保鸡丁 (gōng bǎo jī dīng), literally Palace Defense Chicken Cubes. Fuchia Dunlop tells the story of how its name was changed in the Cultural revolution to either 宫爆鸡丁 (gōng bào jī dīng, "fast fried chicken cubes") or 糊辣鸡丁 (hú là jī dīng, or "seared chillies chicken cubes") until it reverted in the 1980s.

This version is from a local Sichuan restaurant. Not the best I've had but fine, if somewhat overloaded with the green chilllies and celery. The best I've had was in Chengdu, capital of Sichuan. Of course.

Served with rice, of course.

gongbaojiding1.thumb.jpg.2c8ae44ef25b89fa0dbaaa9a11c9ab3f.jpg