• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I attempted to make Rendang a few months ago, not knowing anything about it other than that Charlie and a friend watched someone on TV make it.  I went to three stores to try to find everything and had to substitute some things. After some people here who are familiar with the dish gave me some input and Imelda, an on-line friend from Indonesia, sent me some packets with all the proper ingredients, I made it again and it turned out much better. The unmarked packet is toasted coconut.  Thanks to everyone who helped me understand the dish better.

IMG_0564.jpg

PS. this is what Imelda told me about Rendang.  Looks good Norm. There are so many ways to cook rendang, all of them were claimed authentic, depends on the region. Both Indonesia and Malaysia claim the origin of Rendang. This dish is widely accepted as having originated from the ethnic Minangkabau people, also known as ‘Minang,’ from West Sumatra, Indonesia.

I have some packets of rendang seasoning, I can mail you some if you want to try the Indonesian Rendang, all you need is add some coconut powder and chili sauce if you like more heat.

IMG_0568.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I attempted to make Rendang a few months ago, not knowing anything about it other than that Charlie and a friend watched someone on TV make it.  I went to three stores to try to find everything and had to substitute some things. After some people here who are familiar with the dish gave me some input and Imelda, an on-line friend from Indonesia, sent me some packets with all the proper ingredients, I made it again and it turned out much better. The unmarked packet is toasted coconut.  Thanks to everyone who helped me understand the dish better.

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg