• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

China likes slivers, (sī), or julienned strips for dinner. The Chinese word is used to describe any threadlike thing and is the origin of the English 'silk'.

So tonight a trio of slivers over rice slithered its way to me. On the left, we have 香辣鱿鱼丝 (xiāng là yóu yú sī), spicy squid slivers, centre is 清炒土豆丝 (qīng chǎo tǔ dòu sī ) stir-fried potato slivers and right, 美极杏鲍菇 (měi jí xìng bào gū), king oyster mushrooms (eryngii).

slivers.thumb.jpg.cc8479543e88578020fcffce451699bf.jpg

I'm struggling to remember ever seeing this cutting technique used in any Chinese restaurant in Europe.

liuzhou

liuzhou

China likes slivers, (sī), or julienned strips for dinner. The Chinese word is used to describe any threadlike thing and is the origin of the English 'silk'.

So tonight a trio of slivers over rice slithered its way to me. On the left, we have 香辣鱿鱼丝 (xiāng là yóu yú sī), spicy squid slivers, centre is 清炒土豆丝 (qīng chǎo tǔ dòu sī ) stir-fried potato slivers and right, 美极杏鲍菇 (měi jí xìng bào gū).

slivers.thumb.jpg.cc8479543e88578020fcffce451699bf.jpg

I'm struggling to remember ever seeing this cutting technique used in any Chinese restaurant in Europe.