• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 8/19/2023 at 10:43 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You stole my question!

I wouldn't go so far as to say common, but certainly not unknown. Ginger and garlic are in almost everything, but hot pots and slow cooked dishes such as ribs frequenty also include bay leaves. Not stir fries though. Bay leaves are noted for being used in many Sichuan dishes.

The Chinese for bay leaf is 香叶 (xiāng yè) which literally translates as 'savoury leaf'. And they are real bay leaves from the bay laurel plant, unlike many elsewhere.

liuzhou

liuzhou

8 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You stole my question!

I wouldn't go so far as to say common, but certainly not unknown. Ginger and garlic are in almost everything, but hot pots and slow cooked dishes such as ribs frequenty also include bay leaves. Not stir fries though.

The Chinese for bay leaf is 香叶 (xiāng yè) which literally translates as 'savoury leaf'.