• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

After last night’s dinner debacle, I decided to play it safe tonight. I revisited a supplier I have used before and ordered 鱼香肉丝 (yú xiāng ròu sī), fish flavour pork slivers. There is no fish involved. Instead, this Sichuan dish uses ingredients normally or traditionally used to flavour fish dishes. These include the normal garlic, ginger, chillies and scallions along with Baoning or Zhenjiang (Chinkiang in America) black vinegar*, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce and sugar. Here these are used with thinly slivered pork tenderloin but it is also often made with sliced pork when it is called 鱼香肉片(yú xiāng ròu piàn). Fuchsia Dunlop has a recipe.

.thumb.jpg.e4013683ae34428dbeca293ea9d25c0a.jpg

The portion was generous enough to leave me with lunch tomorrow And jolly good it was, too. $4.88 USD inc delivery.

.thumb.jpg.8eb6dbeb78e46a785fed0589af1f6406.jpg

* Baoning vinegar is from Sichuan, so would be first choice, but Zhenjiang (from eastern China) is more widely available and is very similar.

liuzhou

liuzhou

After last night’s dinner debacle, I decided to play in safe tonight. I revisited a supplier I have used before and ordered 鱼香肉丝 (yú xiāng ròu sī), fish flavour pork slivers. There is no fish involved. Instead, this Sichuan dish uses ingredients normally or traditionally used to flavour fish dishes. These include the normal garlic, ginger, chillies and scallions along with Baoning or Zhenjiang (Chinkiang in America) black vinegar*, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce and sugar. Here these are used with thinly slivered pork tenderloin but it is also often made with sliced pork when it is called 鱼香肉片(yú xiāng ròu piàn). Fuchsia Dunlop has a recipe.

.thumb.jpg.e4013683ae34428dbeca293ea9d25c0a.jpg

The portion was generous enough to leave me with lunch tomorrow And jolly good it was, too. $4.88 USD inc delivery.

.thumb.jpg.8eb6dbeb78e46a785fed0589af1f6406.jpg

* Baoning vinegar is from Sichuan, so would be first choice, but Zhenjiang (from eastern China) is more widely available and is very similar.