• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Chimayo Joe

Chimayo Joe

I've had several items that were new to me since the last time I posted on this thread:

Regarding shrimp, none have topped my favorites SeaPak Jumbo Coconut Shrimp and SeaPak Jumbo Butterfly Shrimp, but they've all been pretty good.  waterfrontBISTRO Butterfly Shrimp I think are next best after the two previously mentioned SeaPak shrimp. waterfrontBISTRO is a Safeway store brand. Kroger Crunchy Coconut Shrimp and Kroger Crunchy Butterfly Shrimp have batter that's a bit too thick for me, but other than that, they're good.  I probably expected too much from SeaPak Tempura Shrimp. They're okay but missing the light crispiness I want from tempura. The jury is still out on SeaPak Budweiser Beer Battered Shrimp. I've only had part of the package of those, and I overcooked them.

Moving on to potstickers & similar, Bibigo continues to be my favorite brand.  I had the spicy version of Bibigo Mandu Pork & Vegetable Dumpling earlier, and while the regular Mandu Pork & Vegetable Dumplings aren't as much of zing to the palate, they're also very good.  Bibigo Pork & Vegetable Mini Wontons also get a thumbs up from me. Others I've liked (roughly in order of preference) are:

Wei Chuan Vegetable & Pork Dumplings Gyoza

Beksul Crispy Potstickers Vegetable Beef & Pork Dumplings

Sprouts Pork Gyoza Pot Stickers

Annie Chun's Organic Pork & Vegetable Potstickers

Wei Chuan Korean Pork Dumpling

InnovAsian Pork Potstickers

Tai Pei Pork Potstickers

Daylee Pride Pork Gyoza Potstickers

Annie Chun's Organic Shiitake & Vegetable Potstickers

Ling Ling Potstickers Pork & Vegetable Dumplings

Daylee Pride Beef Gyoza Potstickers

Chung's Pork Potstickers

Only one frozen potato product to add, Ore-Ida Mini Tater Tots which is the best of the Ore-Ida tater tot varieties that I've had.  Not as good as my favorite Alexia Yukon Select Puffs, and not as good as Great Value Taters (which were a surprise find), but maybe 3rd in my tater tot rankings (slightly ahead of about a dozen others.) 

Chimayo Joe

Chimayo Joe

I've had several items that were new to me since the last time I posted on this thread:

Regarding shrimp, none have topped my favorites SeaPak Jumbo Coconut Shrimp and SeaPak Jumbo Butterfly Shrimp, but they've all been pretty good.  waterfrontBISTRO Butterfly Shrimp I think are next best after the two previously mentioned SeaPak shrimp. waterfrontBISTRO is a Safeway store brand. Kroger Crunchy Coconut Shrimp and Kroger Crunchy Butterfly Shrimp have batter that's a bit too thick for me, but other than that, they're good.  I probably expected too much from SeaPak Tempura Shrimp. They're okay but missing the light crispiness I want from tempura. The jury is still out on SeaPak Budweiser Beer Battered Shrimp. I've only had part of the package of those, and I overcooked them.

Moving on to potstickers & similar, Bibigo continues to be my favorite brand.  I had the spicy version of Bibigo Mandu Pork & Vegetable Dumpling earlier, and while the regular Mandu Pork & Vegetable Dumplings aren't as much of zing to the palate, they're also very good.  Bibigo Pork & Vegetable Mini Wontons also get a thumbs up from me. Others I've liked (roughly in order of preference) are:

Wei Chuan Vegetable & Pork Dumplings Gyoza

Beksul Crispy Potstickers Vegetable Beef & Pork Dumplings Sprouts Pork Gyoza Pot Stickers

Annie Chun's Organic Pork & Vegetable Potstickers

Wei Chuan Korean Pork Dumpling

InnovAsian Pork Potstickers

Tai Pei Pork Potstickers

Daylee Pride Pork Gyoza Potstickers

Annie Chun's Organic Shiitake & Vegetable Potstickers

Ling Ling Potstickers Pork & Vegetable Dumplings

Daylee Pride Beef Gyoza Potstickers

Chung's Pork Potstickers

Only one frozen potato product to add, Ore-Ida Mini Tater Tots which is the best of the Ore-Ida tater tot varieties that I've had.  Not as good as my favorite Alexia Yukon Select Puffs, and not as good as Great Value Taters (which were a surprise find), but maybe 3rd in my tater tot rankings (slightly ahead of about a dozen others.)