• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

I would do a combination of 4" slim fit recessed lights and undercabinet leds. This provides a nice flat diffuse light that is good for cooking/evaluating food. The new recessed lights are also very cheap and easy to install, about 20CAD a piece, and 50CAD all in if you paid someone to install. They provide great coverage and a fair amount of lumens in a small format. Because they are so cheap, you can use a lot of them, and just cap the upper limit of your dimmer switch.

I do have a few pendants for aesthetics but I almost never turn them on. The pendant fixtures these days, especially all the modern farmhouse designs. are quite bright and harsh. If I didn't want to sell my house in the future, I would do just recessed lights in their place, but this would require me to cut the ceiling boxes bigger so I will not do it. You are right though they really just get in the way and then you have to clean them.

I use 5000k but I know that's not for everyone. Ideally I would use 4000k but it is very hard to find all lights in this color.

6" is considered a bit outdated although I haven't tried them myself. I find the 4" provide a good brightness and coverage. Keep in mind though that Hue only carries 6" slim fit. Their 4" recessed light is a retrofit that requires cans.

My ceilings are similar size to you.

andrewk512

andrewk512

I would do a combination of 4" slim fit recessed lights and undercabinet leds. This provides a nice flat diffuse light that is good for cooking/evaluating food. The new recessed lights are also very cheap and easy to install.

I do have a few pendants for aesthetics but I almost never turn them on. The pendant fixtures these days, especially all the modern farmhouse designs. are quite bright and harsh. If I didn't want to sell my house in the future, I would do just recessed lights in their place, but this would require me to cut the ceiling boxes bigger so I will not do it. You are right though they really just get in the way and then you have to clean them.

I use 5000k but I know that's not for everyone. Ideally I would use 4000k but it is very hard to find all lights in this color.

6" is considered a bit outdated although I haven't tried them myself. I find the 4" provide a good brightness and coverage. Keep in mind though that Hue only carries 6" slim fit. Their 4" recessed light is a retrofit that requires cans.

My ceilings are similar size to you.

andrewk512

andrewk512

I would do a combination of 4" slim fit recessed lights and undercabinet leds. This provides a nice flat diffuse light that is good for cooking/evaluating food. The new recessed lights are also very cheap and easy to install.

andrewk512

andrewk512

I do have a few pendants for aesthetics but I almost never turn them on. The pendant fixtures these days, especially all the modern farmhouse designs. are quite bright and harsh. If I didn't want to sell my house in the future, I would do just recessed lights in their place, but this would require me to cut the ceiling boxes bigger so I will not do it.