• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CookBot

CookBot

Please don't throw things at me, but have you considering dispensing with the graham crackers (or cookies) altogether and going for a salty/savory crust?

In the Carolinas there's a version of lime (or lemon) pie that has a filling basically identical to Key Lime, but the crust is made with crushed saltine crackers.  It originated at a legendary restaurant in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  I find I much prefer the salty contrast of the crackers against the sweet/tart filling.  Some people use pretzels for the crust, too, but I tried that and found the saltines preferable.  (I also prefer a meringue topping to the standard whipped cream.)

From Food52 -- Atlantic Beach Pie:

https://food52.com/recipes/29939-bill-smith-s-atlantic-beach-pie

atlantic-beach-pie-crookscornerFB-230c.j

CookBot

CookBot

Please don't throw things at me, but have you considering dispensing with the graham crackers (or cookies) altogether and going for a salty/savory crust?

In the Carolinas there's a version of lime (or lemon) pie that has a filling basically identical to Key Lime, but the crust is made with crushed saltine crackers.  It originated at a legendary restaurant in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  I find I much prefer the salty contrast of the crackers against the sweet/tart filling.  Some people use pretzels for the crust, too, but I tried that and found the saltines preferable.  (I also prefer a meringue topping to the standard whipped cream.)

From Food52 -- Atlantic Beach Pie:

https://food52.com/recipes/29939-bill-smith-s-atlantic-beach-pie