• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

eugenep

eugenep

Here in the East Cost  - the NJ-NYC area - I have read about the tri-tip but neve saw it in our super markets. 

So here in the summer, I did see a triangle shaped beef and I thought it might be the tri-tip at Costco. 

BUT ALAS!!! 😪  it was not the tri-tip but some meat called the Picanha?? I googled it and it was sirloin. I remember having this cut in this fancy Brazilian steak house which was overpriced (as with all NYC restaurants) 

I tried it myself owing to the $6 price tag. And - damn - it was super good over the Santa Maria style grill. It did have the smoke flavor bc it was cooked directly over the charcoal (as the Cinnamon Club and Modernist Cuisine stated) 

Ummm..I am also glad for Costo's $6 lb oxtail - very high quality. I think it's at that price bc it is out of season (as a soup making cut - which is unlikely in a hot summer). Maybe I'll find a recipe of smoking or grilling oxtail for the summer. I have tried Jamaican oxtail recipe but it doesn't taste on the same level as West Indies restaurants/stores for oxtail dishes

eugenep

eugenep

Here in the East Cost  - the NJ-NYC area - I have read about the tri-tip but neve saw it in our super markets. 

So here in the summer, I did see a triable shaped beef and I thought it might be the tri-tip at Costco. 

BUT ALAS!!! 😪  it was not the tri-tip but some meat called the Picanha?? I googled it and it was sirloin. I remember having this cut in this fancy Brazilian steak house which was overpriced (as with all NYC restaurants) 

I tried it myself owing to the $6 price tag. And - damn - it was super good over the Santa Maria style grill. It did have the smoke flavor bc it was cooked directly over the charcoal (as the Cinnamon Club and Modernist Cuisine stated) 

Ummm..I am also glad for Costo's $6 lb oxtail - very high quality. I think it's at that price bc it is out of season (as a soup making cut - which is unlikely in a hot summer). Maybe I'll find a recipe of smoking or grilling oxtail for the summer. I have tried Jamaican oxtail recipe but it doesn't taste on the same level as West Indies restaurants/stores for oxtail dishes