• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

Not counting any lids, several of which do double duty. Also not counting baking pieces, no sheet pans, no designated roasting pans, casseroles, bread pans or pie pans. No electrical appliances like rice cookers (yes I have one), slow cookers or instant pots (I have neither.)  

I don't have any pot and pan obsessions or addictions and I try hard not to acquire more stuff. I have replaced two dutch overs and the the two older ones do heavy lifting, one as a marmalade pot and the other for bread baking. The newer ones get regular use for soups and stews, etc. Another pan was a thrift store find in very good condition. It is Le Creuset and I think they call it a paella pan. It is big and doesn't see heavy use, but comes in very handy for several things, none of which is paella.. So I have a total of  five enamel coated cast iron dutch ovens.  5

I have three cast iron fry pans. One is large and square and is in beautiful condition. It got a fair amount of use for bacon, but I hardly ever use it anymore. The next one is also in good shape and can fit two medium size grilled sandwiches. The third one is tiny and cute and gets used for toasting spices or little jobs. Two other saute pans include a 12 inch stainless steel and a 10 inch cheap non stick job that has been replaced once. Handy for eggs or delicate fish cakes, etc. Then I have one dedicated french omelet pan that is a relatively heavy carbon steel workhorse. I've had it forever and it's magic.   6 

I have two copper pots. One is perfect for several portions of risotto, grits, rice pudding, stewed rhubarb, etc. It is at least 30 years old and gets frequent use. The other is a shallow slope sided pan that is perfect for making a tarte tatin. Limited use, but a great Good Will find a million years ago.  2

Two pots for miscellaneous use. An ancient trashy Rivere Ware that is big enough to steam five eggs on a steamer rack. And a nice sturdy little stainless steel one for making two portions of rice or bulgur or sauces.  2

Two other stainless steel pots include a high sided spaghetti pot, potato boiling pot, whatever and very sturdy.  The other is a relatively lightweight stainless steel pot  that is quite big and used for primarily for making stock.  2

So that makes a total of 17, to the best of my knowledge. It's beyond me why I spent the time to count my pans for this thread. I could have made lunch instead.

Oh wait! I forgot the wok. At least 35 years old, carbon steel, used at least once a week, and I couldn't live without it. 

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

Not counting any lids, several of which do double duty. Also not counting baking pieces, no sheet pans, no designated roasting pans, casseroles, bread pans or pie pans. No electrical appliances like rice cookers (yes I have one), slow cookers or instant pots (I have neither.)  

I don't have any pot and pan obsessions or addictions and I try hard not to acquire more stuff. I have replaced two dutch overs and the the two older ones do heavy lifting, one as a marmalade pot and the other for bread baking. The newer ones get regular use for soups and stews, etc. Another pan was a thrift store find in very good condition. It is Le Creuset and I think they call it a paella pan. It is big and doesn't see heavy use, but comes in very handy for several things, none of which is paella.. So I have a total of  five enamel coated cast iron dutch ovens.  5

I have three cast iron fry pans. One is large and square and is in beautiful condition. It got a fair amount of use for bacon, but I hardly ever use it anymore. The next one is also in good shape and can fit two medium size grilled sandwiches. The third one is tiny and cute and gets used for toasting spices or little jobs. Two other saute pans include a 12 inch stainless steel and a 10 inch cheap non stick job that has been replaced once. Handy for eggs or delicate fish cakes, etc. Then I have one dedicated french omelet pan that is a relatively heavy carbon steel workhorse. I've had it forever and it's magic.   6 

I have two copper pots. One is perfect for several portions of risotto, grits, rice pudding, stewed rhubarb, etc. It is at least 30 years old and gets frequent use. The other is a shallow slope sided pan that is perfect for making a tarte tatin. Limited use, but a great Good Will find a million years ago.  2

Two pots for miscellaneous use. An ancient trashy Rivere Ware that is big enough to steam five eggs on a steamer rack. And a nice sturdy little stainless steel one for making two portions of rice or bulgur or sauces.  2

Two other stainless steel pots include a high sided spaghetti pot, potato boiling pot, whatever and very sturdy.  The other is a relatively lightweight stainless steel pot  that is quite big and used for primarily for making stock.  2

So that makes a total of 17, to the best of my knowledge. It's beyond me why I spent the time to count my pans for this thread. I could have made lunch instead.