• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

First of all, in Chinese cooking, it is important to differentiate between light and dark soy sauces. They will usually be labelled as appropriate (although light is sometimes labelled as 'superior sauce' while dark is labelled as 'sauce, superior')

Chinese light soy sauce is the most important. It is used for flavour. Dark is used primarily for colour. Both are often used together in the one dish, but light will predominate. A bottle of light soy lasts me maybe a month to six weeks. A same size bottle of dark lasts over a year. If you only have one, that should be light for sure.

The problem with Kikkomnan regular soy sauce is that it is technically a dark soy sauce. They do make a light version, but it is uncommon. In practice Kikkoman is somewhere between the two Chinese sauces. Kikkoman regular is more of a finishing sauce. Hence why @Kim Shookfinds it on "just about every Chinese American restaurant" she has frequented. Soy sauce is never on the table in Chinese retaurants in China. That said, cooking with it won't destroy your dish, although it won't be at its best, either.

My general recommendation would be to find a naturally brewed Chinese light soy sauce (brand matters little) to start, then supplement that with a dark as and when.

liuzhou

liuzhou

First of all, in Chinese cooking, it is important to differentiate between light and dark soy sauces. They will usually be labelled as appropriate (although light is sometimes labelled as 'superior sauce' while dark is labelled as 'sauce, superior')

Chinese light soy sauce is the most important. It is used for flavour. Dark is used primarily for colour. Both are often used together in the one dish, but light will predominate. A bottleof lightsoy lasts me maybe a month to six weeks. A same size bottle of dark lasts over a year. If you only have one, that should be light for sure.

The problem with Kikkomnan regular soy sauce is that it is technically a dark soy sauce. They do make a light version, but it is uncommon. In practice Kikkoman is somewhere between the two Chinese sauces. Kikkoman regular is more of a finishing sauce. Hence why @Kim Shookfinds it on "just about every Chinese American restaurant" she has frequented. Soy sauce is never on the table in Chinese retaurants in China. That said, cooking with it won't destroy your dish, although it won't be at its best, either.

My general recommendation would be to find a naturally brewed Chinese light soy sauce (brand matters little) to start, then supplement that with a dark as and when.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Chinese light soy sauce is the most important. It is used for flavour. Dark is used primarily for colour. Both are often used together in the one dish, but light will predominate. A bottleof lightsoy lasts me maybe a month to six weeks. A same size bottle of dark lasts over a year. If you only have one, that should be light for sure.

The problem with Kikkomnan regular soy sauce is that it is technically a dark soy sauce. They do make a light version, but it is uncommon. In practice Kikkoman is somewhere between the two Chinese sauces. Kikkoman regular is more of a finishing sauce. Hence why @Kim Shookfinds it on "just about every Chinese American restaurant" she has frequented. Soy sauce is never on the table in Chinese retaurants in China.