• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

To remove extraneous words.

On 10/24/2022 at 8:28 PM, Anna N said:

Thanks. I was aware of that but I’m curious to see Naomi’s take on it.
 As I said, I’m unlikely to cook from this book but I’m very interested in the subject.  

One thing, she definitely wins top marks for is her acknowledgement that all salt is sodium chloride and once dissolved in water the most expensive is no better than the cheapest. 

Well, I downloaded a Kindle sample of this book.

I have to tell you that it takes very little for an author to completely lose my trust.  Two recent examples: an author who described the yellow eyes of a turtle seen on a black and white TV and in a different book, surgeons left to clear up the sharps after a failed resuscitation attempt!  No, no, no no. So Naomi’s sin? Spending far too long explaining why you must use scales to weigh salt in recipes, and then giving her first recipe in volume measurements. It probably doesn’t make a whole lot of difference for this recipe but…… After that, the few recipes that are given in the sample switch back-and-forth between volume and weight or use both - weight and volume for one ingredient and volume for another: 

the 
½ cup/75 grams white sesame seeds

2 tablespoons coarse or fine sea salt

this, after carefully explaining that the same volumes of coarse salt and fine salt will have different weights. 

Will I still buy the book? Probably not.
The writing is repetitive and tedious. 

Sorry, Naomi, I think you missed on this one.  Perhaps the recipes will redeem it for others. 

Anna N

Anna N

On 10/24/2022 at 8:28 PM, Anna N said:

Thanks. I was aware of that but I’m curious to see Naomi’s take on it.
 As I said, I’m unlikely to cook from this book but I’m very interested in the subject.  

One thing, she definitely wins top marks for is her acknowledgement that all salt is sodium chloride and once dissolved in water the most expensive is no better than the cheapest. 

Well, I downloaded a Kindle sample of this book.

I have to tell you that it takes very little for an author to completely lose my trust.  Two recent examples: an author who described the yellow eyes of a turtle seen on a black and white TV and in a different book, surgeons left to clear up the sharps after a failed resuscitation attempt!  No, no, no no. So Naomi’s sin? Spending far too long explaining why you must use scales to weigh salt in recipes, and then giving her first recipe in volume measurements. It probably doesn’t make a whole lot of difference for this recipe but…… After that, the few recipes that are given in the sample switch back-and-forth between volume and weight or use both - weight and volume for one ingredient and volume for another: 

the 
½ cup/75 grams white sesame seeds

2 tablespoons coarse or fine sea salt

this, after carefully explaining that the same volumes of coarse salt and fine salt will have different weights. 

Will I still buy the book? Probably not.
The writing is repetitive and tedious. 

Sorry, Naomi, I think you missed on this one.  Perhaps the recipes will redeem it for others. 

the idea that in brining meat, season the interior