• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

6 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

The older I get the more my goals for meals change. If I'm going to take the trouble to cook something that appeals I want to come out the other side with.a LARGE one dish meal that can be eaten for days or frozen for later

I’m with you on the changes!  When I was working, I was usually out of the house from ~ 7 AM - 8 PM with business travel every other week. I did almost all my cooking on weekends to stock my freezer with lunches plus occasional evening baking projects. If a recipe didn’t yield good leftovers, I didn’t make it. 
Now, I have the luxury of cooking what I want, when I want. I was inspired by @SobaAddict70/ @ProfessionalHobbit and others here to cut recipes down to a single serving so I can try new things often. Sure there are things like quiche that I’ll happily eat days in a row but I generally try to mix things up. 

Is there a recipe for one deviled egg?

Not sure. I love trying different deviled egg recipes but usually make 2 eggs rather than one. 

The carbon footprint for this type of cooking isn't negligible. Heat your oven for twenty minutes. Bake one cookie. It just sounds nutty.

Yes, there is an environmental cost to living alone and cooking for one. It does concern me. 
I like to keep a log of World Peace cookies in the freezer so I can occasionally slice off 2 cookies and bake them in the CSO, which takes about 4 min to preheat, not quite the 20 min you’ve given for a big oven but I probably should reconsider being so wasteful. 

Edited to add that I generally use normal cookbooks and cut down the recipes, which generally works fine. For baking, however, I can see value in having recipes specifically tested with smaller pans, etc. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

The older I get the more my goals for meals change. If I'm going to take the trouble to cook something that appeals I want to come out the other side with.a LARGE one dish meal that can be eaten for days or frozen for later

I’m with you on the changes!  When I was working, I was usually out of the house from ~ 7 AM - 8 PM with business travel every other week. I did almost all my cooking on weekends to stock my freezer with lunches plus occasional evening baking projects. If a recipe didn’t yield good leftovers, I didn’t make it. 
Now, I have the luxury of cooking what I want, when I want. I was inspired by @SobaAddict70/ @ProfessionalHobbit and others here to cut recipes down to a single serving so I can try new things often. Sure there are things like quiche that I’ll happily eat days in a row but I generally try to mix things up. 

Is there a recipe for one deviled egg?

Not sure. I love trying different deviled egg recipes but usually make 2 eggs rather than one. 

The carbon footprint for this type of cooking isn't negligible. Heat your oven for twenty minutes. Bake one cookie. It just sounds nutty.

Yes, there is an environmental cost to living alone and cooking for one. It does concern me. 
I like to keep a log of World Peace cookies in the freezer so I can occasionally slice off 2 cookies and bake them in the CSO, which takes about 4 min to preheat, not quite the 20 min you’ve given for a big oven but I probably should reconsider being so wasteful.