• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I truly think the gouging comes from different parts of the delivery system, not necessarily the farmer raising the cow.  Then again, hasn't it always?

But in any event, we eat less beef than before, but still enjoy a good, sometimes expensive steak; the difference being that I can practically squeeze 2 meals (for the 2 of us) out of a 16 oz. strip steak, making the (once again) price per portion quite reasonable. And really reasonable compared to going out to a steak house.

Completely agree. Its the distributors and retailers that jack up the prices.

Because they can.

At this point I have no reason to go to Costco except parmigiano reggiano.

I'm to the point of going to overpriced butchers because at least there I can at least look the thief in the eye.

gfweb

gfweb

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I truly think the gouging comes from different parts of the delivery system, not necessarily the farmer raising the cow.  Then again, hasn't it always?

But in any event, we eat less beef than before, but still enjoy a good, sometimes expensive steak; the difference being that I can practically squeeze 2 meals (for the 2 of us) out of a 16 oz. strip steak, making the (once again) price per portion quite reasonable. And really reasonable compared to going out to a steak house.

Completely agree. Its the distributors and retailers that jack up the prices.

Because they can.

At this point I have no reason to go to Costco except parmigiano reggiano