• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

8 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Moreover, the rabbit hole recipes call for belly and shoulder, at least 25% fat.    I can't get my arms around a raw, cold pork fatty spoonful.     What am I missing?

I think genetically we are unable to resist salted raw animal protein. I can’t. Think oysters, carpaccio, rare steak … It is umami central.

Then mentally add some background spices (think nutmeg, bit of clove, …) and a bit of ooomph (freshly ground black pepper, raw onions). Imagine this on a buttered rye roll (more fat & those great toasted Maillard flavors). 

This is what you are missing …

75CAE8FB-ED36-4087-A7F2-FEDEC79386F7.thumb.jpeg.8d2251c4567037673b59eeef61cb8e65.jpeg

Duvel

Duvel

7 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Moreover, the rabbit hole recipes call for belly and shoulder, at least 25% fat.    I can't get my arms around a raw, cold pork fatty spoonful.     What am I missing?

I think genetically we are unable to resist salted raw animal. I can’t. Think oysters, carpaccio, rare steak … It is umami central.

Then mentally add some background spices (think nutmeg, bit of clove, …) and a bit of ooomph (freshly ground black pepper, raw onions). Imagine this on a buttered rye roll (more fat & those great toasted Maillard flavors). 

This is what you are missing …

75CAE8FB-ED36-4087-A7F2-FEDEC79386F7.thumb.jpeg.8d2251c4567037673b59eeef61cb8e65.jpeg