• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Each to his own, as my grandmother often said*. With higher proof spirits, I enjoy both a bit of dilution and a cooler than room temp. My ice cube trays make ~ 1 oz cubes. Every now and then, I make a tray of 1/4 oz slivers to use for this purpose. I store them in a zip top with the big clear 2-inch cubes I use in some cocktails.  I add one to a 2 oz pour and am usually happy with that. Maybe I should compare that to adding room temp water?  Or maybe I should just have another 🙃

* another thing she used to say was, “When I go, put a bottle at me head and another at me feet so I’ll have enough 'til I get there.”  No mention of ice nor water!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Each to his own, as my grandmother often said. With higher proof spirits, I enjoy both a bit of dilution and a cooler than room temp. My ice cube trays make ~ 1 oz cubes. Every now and then, I make a tray of 1/4 oz slivers to use for this purpose. I store them in a zip top with the big clear 2-inch cubes I use in some cocktails.  I add one to a 2 oz pour and am usually happy with that. Maybe I should compare that to adding room temp water?  Or maybe I should just have another 😉