• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

@Smithy, I can't speak from direct experience as I always season the beans while cooking but I agree with @Maison Rustique's suggestion of a bean dip or spread of some sort.  It's always my go-to for an overcooked bean.  This recipe from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Every Day for a white bean spread with rosemary and toasted almonds is one of my favorites.  The garlic and rosemary are gently warmed in olive oil and then strained out so their flavors are mellow rather than harsh. 

One of the best things I made recently with Royal Coronas was a recipe for mustard-marinated beans with shaved asparagus and parsley from Abra Berens' Grist. See photo in this post. Any combo of a crunchy + a leafy green would work. My beans were slightly overcooked but mixing them gently with the vinaigrette helped them stay separate and seasoned them nicely as well. Do warm them up so they'll absorb the seasonings well.  Her vinaigrette (1 shallot, minced, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup whole grain or Dijon mustard, 1/2 t salt) packs a nice mustardy punch, but I'm sure you could use your favorite dressing. 

Edited to add that I used half whole grain and half Dijon in the dressing. 

@Smithy, I can't speak from direct experience as I always season the beans while cooking but I agree with @Maison Rustique's suggestion of a bean dip or spread of some sort.  It's always my go-to for an overcooked bean.  This recipe from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Every Day for a white bean spread with rosemary and toasted almonds is one of my favorites.  The garlic and rosemary are gently warmed in olive oil and then strained out so their flavors are mellow rather than harsh. 

One of the best things I made recently with Royal Coronas was a recipe for mustard-marinated beans with shaved asparagus and parsley from Abra Berens' Grist. See photo in this post. Any combo of a crunchy + a leafy green would work. My beans were slightly overcooked but mixing them gently with the vinaigrette helped them stay separate and seasoned them nicely as well. Do warm them up so they'll absorb the seasonings well.  Her vinaigrette (1 shallot, minced, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup whole grain or Dijon mustard, 1/2 t salt) packs a nice mustardy punch, but I'm sure you could use your favorite dressing.