• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I was curious about the doner - here, we have 2 different varieties of something similar - gyro which is basically a giant (doner sized) caseless relatively finely ground sausage revolving on the spit, and shawarma which is thin pieces of marinated meat stacked up on the spit to doner size, then shaved from the sides.  It seems like the German doner is more of what I would call shawarma - is that right?

In Germany, Döner needs to be comprised of stacked slices of marinated meat. It is, however, allowed to add a certain amount of minced meat, typically to smoothen the mass out and giving it a more uniform appearance. It also lowers the cost. A skewer just made from stacked meat slices is considered of higher quality. 

Duvel

Duvel

24 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I was curious about the doner - here, we have 2 different varieties of something similar - gyro which is basically a giant (doner sized) caseless relatively finely ground sausage revolving on the spit, and shawarma which is thin pieces of marinated meat stacked up on the spit to doner size, then shaved from the sides.  It seems like the German doner is more of what I would call shawarma - is that right?

In Germany, Döner needs to be comprised of stacked sliced of marinated meat. It is, however, allowed to add a certain amount of minced meat, typically to smoothen the mass out and giving it a more uniform appearance. It also lowers the cost. A skewer just made from stacked meat slices is considered of higher quality.