• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

johnnyd

johnnyd

Finally got around to seasoning this Bad Boy:

1202663568_IMG_20220111_1220195662.thumb.jpg.dd82e7d84297184d5fccd669f542eb41.jpg

The delay was a result of seeing so many different ways of getting the job done but there was always something that felt off about every one until I saw this gentleman, Jason, on YouTube: 

Many of his conditions met mine, like a Gas range/oven at home, and he's clearly done this before. From minute one he displays the result I want.

As I watched this video, I recognized sections found in other season-a-wok videos. So you don't have to watch, here is his punch list:

• Scrub inside/outside with sponge scrub-side and Dawn detergent. I spent about 20mins doing it over and over +rinsing
  • Unscrew handle and use straight-jaw, vice-grip pliers to hold wok at handle stub when starting the bluing
  • Remove gas-burner diffuser lid so the flame jets straight out of the burner. I didn't have to go past 4 (out of 9) setting to roast the wok from edge to edge in 20mins
  • When cooled (surprisingly fast, I'm used to cast-iron) apply very thin coat of flax seed oil on both sides. Wipe again to absorb any excess.
  • Bake at 200F for 15 minutes
  • Re-apply flax seed oil thinly; wipe again to absorb excess oil.
  • Bake at 300F for 15 minutes
  • Bake at highest setting (I'm doing 450F) for one hour - after one hour, turn off oven to let cool (~one hour)

This is where you can wok up your ginger/scallion Good Luck fry, but Jason does it three more times so I'm-a goin' for it.  The only smoke I saw/smelt was a small wisp from inside the hanle stub which I didn't wash. I'm on the first hour bake and already it is a satisfying translucent blue/black color, evenly hued from edge to edge. Success!

johnnyd

johnnyd

Finally got around to seasoning this Bad Boy:

1202663568_IMG_20220111_1220195662.thumb.jpg.dd82e7d84297184d5fccd669f542eb41.jpg

The delay was a result of seeing so many different ways of getting the job done but there was always something that felt off about every one until I saw this gentleman, Jason, on YouTube: 

Several of his conditions met mine:

1. Gas range/oven at home.
  2. He's clearly done this before.
  3. From minute one he displays the result I want.

As I watched this video, I recognized sections found in other season-a-wok videos. So you don't have to watch, here is his punch list:

• Scrub inside/outside with sponge scrub-side and Dawn detergent. I spent about 20mins doing it over and over +rinsing
  • Unscrew handle and use straight-jaw, locking pliers to hold wok at handle stub when starting the bluing
  • Remove gas-burner diffuser lid so the flame jets straight out of the burner. I didn't have to go past 4 (out of 9) setting to roast the wok from edge to edge in 20mins
  • When cooled (surprisingly fast, I'm used to cast-iron) apply very thin coat of flax seed oil on both sides. Wipe again to absorb any excess.
  • Bake at 200F for 15 minutes
  • Bake at 300F for 15 minutes
  • Bake at highest setting (I'm doing 450F) for one hour - after one hour, turn off oven to let cool (~one hour)

This is where you can wok up your ginger/scallion Good Luck fry, but Jason does it three more times so I'm-a goin' for it.  The only smoke I saw/smelt was a small wisp from inside the hanle stub which I didn't wash. I'm on the first hour bake and already it is a satisfying translucent blue/black color, evenly hued from edge to edge. Success!