• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

wannabechocolatier

wannabechocolatier

10 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

I’ll second Kerry, these moulds are the bane of my existence. They look so innocuous and yet are such a pain to demould. I made this batch earlier today and still crushed 3 of them when demoulding but I knew I got the temper right. I think it’s the depth + smoothness

C50D01E0-57C2-42A8-BD7D-2E35A0AFC000.jpeg

Did you force them out with your finger or did you give the mold a tap and just had them fall out?

What's the ambient temp you're working at?

Did you use the fridge? If so, did you leave them at ambient temp for a bit before that?

What temp do you pour the chocolate?

Do you think it helps that you coated with cocoa butter first? Maybe it behaves the same way a filled chocolate would, with the white chocolate pulling the set cocoa butter back a little further.

Sorry for the interrogation! Just trying to get everything right.

wannabechocolatier

wannabechocolatier

4 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

I’ll second Kerry, these moulds are the bane of my existence. They look so innocuous and yet are such a pain to demould. I made this batch earlier today and still crushed 3 of them when demoulding but I knew I got the temper right. I think it’s the depth + smoothness

C50D01E0-57C2-42A8-BD7D-2E35A0AFC000.jpeg

Did you force them out with your finger or did you give the mold a tap and just had them fall out?

What's the ambient temp you're working at? 

What temp do you pour the chocolate?

Do you think it helps that you coated with cocoa butter first? Maybe it behaves the same way a filled chocolate would, with the white chocolate pulling the set cocoa butter back a little further.

Sorry for the interrogation! Just trying to get everything right.