• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

30. 肉松 (ròu sōng) - Pork Floss

rousong.thumb.jpg.defc520f740c522bcf365e1de6a8ae04.jpg

肉松 (ròu sōng) - Pork Floss

When I posted regarding preserved meat products earlier, I had this in mind, but didn’t have any to hand. You’ll see why in the next paragraph.

To quote myself from something I wrote in 2012

Rousong (肉松) is also known as meat floss, pork floss etc. It is a form of dried pork which is made by boiling it for hours with soy sauce and other flavourings (including salt, sugar and MSG), shredding it then drying it. It resembles something you might expect to find being used as the stuffing in a mattress and tastes similar, but not quite that good.

It is served on top of congee (rice porridge) or rice, and stuffed into steamed buns, cakes and breads. It is even eaten as it is for a snack. I'd serve with it with c@rn, if I allowed either anywhere near my kitchen!
There is also a version made from fish - 鱼松 ( sōng). It smells and probably tastes like urine-soaked mattresses.

liuzhou

liuzhou

When I posted regarding preserved meat products earlier, I had this in mind, but didn’t have any to hand. You’ll see why in the next paragraph.

Rousong (肉松) is also known as meat floss, pork floss etc. It is a form of dried pork which is made by boiling it for hours with soy sauce and other flavourings (including salt, sugar and MSG), shredding it then drying it. It resembles something you might expect to find being used as the stuffing in a mattress and tastes similar, but not quite that good.

It is served on top of congee (rice porridge) or rice, and stuffed into steamed buns, cakes and breads. It is even eaten as it is for a snack. I'd serve with it with c@rn, if I allowed either anywhere near my kitchen!

There is also a version made from fish - 鱼松 ( sōng). It smells and probably tastes like urine-soaked mattresses.

liuzhou

liuzhou

liuzhou

liuzhou

There is also a version made from fish. It smells and probably tastes like urine-soaked mattresses.