• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

16. 臭豆腐 (chòu dòu fu) – Stinky Tofu

Another fermented bean curd preparation is 臭豆腐 (chòu dòu fu) or stinky tofu. This comes in various versions, but all have one thing in common – they stink!

My favourite type is that which originated in Changsha, the capital of Hunan, the province to the north of Guangxi. Twenty-five years ago, I lived in a small Hunan city and behind the central market was a maze of streets. One of those streets was lined by hole-in-the-wall shops, all with low trestle tables and stools outside, selling stinky tofu and beer. I could always find the street in the maze – simply by following my nose. I could get there blindfolded.

1521812679_choudoufu4.thumb.jpg.dafa197243e871153eb17c99e4f82116.jpg

Changsha Stinky Tofu

Traditionally, stinky tofu uses firm tofu which is then dried and then fermented for months in a brine also containing amaranth leaves, pork, dried shrimp and various vegetables. The Changsha style also incorporates winter bamboo shoot, and shiitake mushrooms, as well as koji, Aspergillus oryzae, a fungus used to promote fermentation

During the fermentation process, the tofu develops a ‘hairy’ exterior, then begins to turn grey, at which time it is considered ready. Normally, the fermented tofu is then deep fried until black or dark brown and the outside is crisp. It is commonly served with a chili sauce. Hunan is chili central in China. In Hong Kong, it is eaten with hoisin sauce – preposterous idea, if you ask me!

Here I can buy it on the streets from itinerant vendors with their portable stoves and cunningly designed woks in which the fried tofu can sit in these cages around the rim to drain, but also to keep warm.

2039252304_chaodoufu.thumb.jpg.837ddfaa3b3bee72f8f01de3310d229e.jpg

Stinky tofu being deep fried in Hunan

1171893260_Choudoufu.thumb.jpg.d4a4b4e04f875b9c4c25de808086413c.jpg

Fried stinky tofu 'resting' in a cage at the rim of the wok.

Once you get past the smell, the taste is creamy and mild, contrasting with the chilli sauce. Sort of like a funky cheese.

Other, well-known varieties include Shaoxing stinky tofu. Shaoxing city in eastern China’s Zhejiang province is also, of course, famous for Shaoxing wine. Sichuan stinky tofu includes Sichuan peppercorns in the brine, while Tianjin in north China makes a milder, light-coloured version with less of the tell-tale smell.

I've even seen stores selling 5-year-old Shaoxing stinky tofu brine on China's online shopping sites.

O1CN017gVtv91kPeaiXtxIL_!!2067154676.jpg_400x400.jpg.f55120fe002a4e98326ec379a1e517c0.jpg

5-Year Old Shaoxing Stinky Tofu Brine

Taiwan is also known for its love of stinky tofu, which they cook in many ways, besides deep frying. I’ve never been there, so can’t comment on that too much.

liuzhou

liuzhou

16. 臭豆腐 (chòu dòu fu) – Stinky Tofu

Another fermented bean curd preparation is 臭豆腐 (chòu dòu fu) or stinky tofu. This comes in various versions, but all have one thing in common – they stink!

My favourite type is that which originated in Changsha, the capital of Hunan, the province to the north of Guangxi. Twenty-five years ago, I lived in a small Hunan city and behind the central market was a maze of streets. One of those streets was lined by hole-in-the-wall shops, all with low trestle tables and stools outside, selling stinky tofu and beer. I could always find the street in the maze – simply by following my nose. I could get their blindfolded.

1521812679_choudoufu4.thumb.jpg.dafa197243e871153eb17c99e4f82116.jpg

Changsha Stinky Tofu

Traditionally, stinky tofu uses firm tofu which is then dried and then fermented for months in a brine also containing amaranth leaves, pork, dried shrimp and various vegetables. The Changsha style also incorporates winter bamboo shoot, and shiitake mushrooms, as well as koji, Aspergillus oryzae, a fungus used to promote fermentation

During the fermentation process, the tofu develops a ‘hairy’ exterior, then begins to turn grey, at which time it is considered ready. Normally, the fermented tofu is then deep fried until black or dark brown and the outside is crisp. It is commonly served with a chili sauce. Hunan is chili central in China. In Hong Kong, it is eaten with hoisin sauce – preposterous idea, if you ask me!

Here I can buy it on the streets from itinerant vendors with their portable stoves and cunningly designed woks in which the fried tofu can sit in these cages around the rim to drain, but also to keep warm.

2039252304_chaodoufu.thumb.jpg.837ddfaa3b3bee72f8f01de3310d229e.jpg

Stinky tofu being deep fried in Hunan

1171893260_Choudoufu.thumb.jpg.d4a4b4e04f875b9c4c25de808086413c.jpg

Fried stinky tofu 'resting' in a cage at the rim of the wok.

Once you get past the smell, the taste is creamy and mild, contrasting with the chilli sauce. Sort of like a funky cheese.

Other, well-known varieties include Shaoxing stinky tofu. Shaoxing city in eastern China’s Zhejiang province is also, of course, famous for Shaoxing wine. Sichuan stinky tofu includes Sichuan peppercorns in the brine, while Tianjin in north China makes a milder, light-coloured version with less of the tell-tale smell.

I've even seen stores selling 5-year-old Shaoxing stinky tofu brine on China's online shopping sites.

O1CN017gVtv91kPeaiXtxIL_!!2067154676.jpg_400x400.jpg.f55120fe002a4e98326ec379a1e517c0.jpg

5-Year Old Shaoxing Stinky Tofu Brine

Taiwan is also known for its love of stinky tofu, which they cook in many ways, besides deep frying. I’ve never been there, so can’t comment on that too much.