• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Added persimmon recipe comment; corrected misspelled word

2 bucks at the library book sale. How could I pass it up?

20230106_150933.jpg

I like cookbooks from good newspapers. This one has the added cachet of promising Callifornia treats, and although I moved away from the state decades ago I still fall for the mystique. The jacket says the recipes come from restaurants, contests, and skilled home chefs, and have all been tested in the LATimes' test kitchen. The book was published in 1981 and updated 1990. 

Some recipes I'm very unlikely to try but there are already several that look appealing: a Tunisian tuna salad with eggplant (I know some of you will shudder at that); a chef's salad with creamy mustard dressing that incorporates bacon drippings; Steak Picado (attributed to Sal Ramos, who cooked it for food workers at the wholesale produce market in Los Angeles). Broccoli Chantilly.

No, I don't need any more cookbooks! But for two bucks, how could I go wrong?

20230106_151029.jpg

Edited to add: it has several persimmon recipes. Boy, I could have used it back when we had access to overgown and neglected persimmon trees!

Smithy

Smithy

Added persimmon recipe comment; corrected misspelled word

20230106_150933.jpg

I like cookbooks from good newspapers. This one has the added cachet of promising Callifornia treats, and although I moved away from the state decades ago I still fall for the mystique. The jacket says the recipes come from restaurants, contests, and skilled home chefs, and have all been tested in the LATimes' test kitchen. The book was published in 1981 and updated 1990. 

Some recipes I'm very unlikely to try but there are already several that look appealing: a Tunisian tuna salad with eggplant (I know some of you will shudder at that); a chef's salad with creamy mustard dressing that incorporates bacon drippings; Steak Picado (attributed to Sal Ramos, who cooked it for food norkers at the wholesale produce market in Los Angeles). Broccoli Chantilly.

20230106_151029.jpg

Edited to add: it has several persimmon recipes. Boy, I could have used it back when we had access to overgown and neglected persimmon trees!

Smithy

Smithy

Added persimmon recipe comment

20230106_150933.jpg

Some recipes I'm very unlikely to try but there are already several that look appealing: a Tunisian tuna salad with eggplant (I know some of you will shudder at that); a chef's salad with creamy mustard dressing that incorporates bacon drippings; Steak Picado (attributed to Sal Ramos, who cooked it for foood norkers at the wholesale produce market in Los Angeles). Broccoli Chantilly.

20230106_151029.jpg

Smithy

Smithy

20230106_150933.jpg

Some recipes I'm very unlikely to try but there are already several that look appealing: a Tunisian tuna salad with eggplant (I know some of you will shudder at that); a chef's salad with creamy mustard dressing that incorporates bacon drippings; Steak Picado (attributed to Sal Ramos, who cooked it for foood norkers at the wholesale produce market in Los Angeles). Broccoli Chantilly.

20230106_151029.jpg