• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JordanB

JordanB

4 hours ago, minas6907 said:

What would your batch size be? Is this just for personal consumption, or something much larger? Also, are you molding in starch, or silicone molds? I do around 2.5kg batches. Just my opinion, I wouldn't mess with wax on gummies, I think It'll end up being more problematic then its worth if this is just something your messing around with yourself. However if your producing much larger batches for packaging, the wax coating will benefit the product. In Chocolates and Confections, Greweling lists vegetable oil for coating. The oils @Kerry Beal mentioned are ideal, they leave no flavor, and keep in mind, you dont need much oil to coat the gummies, a little goes a very long way.

Just for reference, heres what the book Confectionery Science and Technology says: "Most gummy, licorice and some jelly candies are coated with a layer of wax to provide a shiny appearance and to prevent pieces from sticking in the package. For example, gummy bears are typically coated with a thin layer of wax dissolved in oil to provide a shiny appearance. Fractionated fats, oils or waxes are applied to the surface of the candy as they tumble in a pan. Fats and oils used include mineral oil and fractionated coconut oil, among others. Beeswax and carnauba wax are commonly used waxes. Once the oiling layer has solidified, the candies are ready for packaging."

I just depends on what scale your making your gummies on. I used to coat with oil, but I started to favor tossing in sugar for the texture contrast.

Also, here is what Haribo lists (in the US) on the ingredients label for their gummies: GLUCOSE SYRUP (FROM WHEAT OR CORN), SUGAR, GELATIN, DEXTROSE (FROM WHEAT OR CORN), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: CITRIC ACID, ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVORS, PALM OIL, PALM KERNEL OIL, CARNAUBA WAX, WHITE BEESWAX, YELLOW BEESWAX, YELLOW 5, RED 40, BLUE 1.

So there are two different oils listed, I'm sure there is a good reason for that, but they are both from palm.

Oh I see, thats really great thank you. You see I do plan to do quantities similar to you, more or less a few kilograms. it does matter slightly as I plan to sell them to a few local delis who are interested. The wax coating isnt something im fixated on if theres a better option Im open to one. Did you not find that coating them in sugar caused them to melt? Bear in mind I am looking for them to last as long as possible preferably more than a few months, not sure if the coating would help that

I will be using silicon moulds as it is what I have available however if it works I might consider starch moulds, are they much better for larger quantities of a few kilos?

JordanB

JordanB

What would your batch size be? Is this just for personal consumption, or something much larger? Also, are you molding in starch, or silicone molds? I do around 2.5kg batches. Just my opinion, I wouldn't mess with wax on gummies, I think It'll end up being more problematic then its worth if this is just something your messing around with yourself. However if your producing much larger batches for packaging, the wax coating will benefit the product. In Chocolates and Confections, Greweling lists vegetable oil for coating. The oils @Kerry Beal mentioned are ideal, they leave no flavor, and keep in mind, you dont need much oil to coat the gummies, a little goes a very long way.

Just for reference, heres what the book Confectionery Science and Technology says: "Most gummy, licorice and some jelly candies are coated with a layer of wax to provide a shiny appearance and to prevent pieces from sticking in the package. For example, gummy bears are typically coated with a thin layer of wax dissolved in oil to provide a shiny appearance. Fractionated fats, oils or waxes are applied to the surface of the candy as they tumble in a pan. Fats and oils used include mineral oil and fractionated coconut oil, among others. Beeswax and carnauba wax are commonly used waxes. Once the oiling layer has solidified, the candies are ready for packaging."

I just depends on what scale your making your gummies on. I used to coat with oil, but I started to favor tossing in sugar for the texture contrast.

Also, here is what Haribo lists (in the US) on the ingredients label for their gummies: GLUCOSE SYRUP (FROM WHEAT OR CORN), SUGAR, GELATIN, DEXTROSE (FROM WHEAT OR CORN), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: CITRIC ACID, ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVORS, PALM OIL, PALM KERNEL OIL, CARNAUBA WAX, WHITE BEESWAX, YELLOW BEESWAX, YELLOW 5, RED 40, BLUE 1.

So there are two different oils listed, I'm sure there is a good reason for that, but they are both from palm.

Oh I see, thats really great thank you. You see I do plan to do quantities similar to you, more or less a few kilograms. it does matter slightly as I plan to sell them to a few local delis who are interested. The wax coating isnt something im fixated on if theres a better option Im open to one. Did you not find that coating them in sugar caused them to melt? 

I will be using silicon moulds as it is what I have available however if it works I might consider starch moulds, are they much better for larger quantities of a few kilos?

JordanB

JordanB

Oh I see, thats really great thank you. You see I do plan to do quantities similar to you, more or less a few kilograms. it does matter slightly as I plan to sell them to a few local delis who are interested. The wax coating isnt something im fixated on if theres a better option Im open to one. Did you not find that coating them in sugar caused them to melt?