• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

6 hours ago, Jim D. said:

The only solution I can think of is to seal the chocolates in plastic (per your comment on ziplock), but that defeats the purpose of your new case (I gather you are letting customers pick and choose the pieces they want--which is, of course, the ultimate way to sell decorated chocolates).  Is there any way to add a dehumidifier to the case?  If I recall correctly, @Kerry Beal wrote about this issue.  How much more expensive were display cases with humidity control?  I would think a fan would help a bit (though I have no knowledge about this), but I don't think much (aside from a dehumidifier) could counteract 70% humidity.

Yes, the idea is to let people pick and choose their favorites.  I do have a couple of boxed assortments in there that look fine, just the exposed ones look bad.  It's a (relatively) cheap refrigerated bakery case, I figured I could make it work one way or another but now I'm not sure what that way is.  The special chocolate cases are 3x the price, like all the special chocolate things 😜 

Edited to add:  current weather is reasonably dry, 72F & 40% humidity in the kitchen, so it shouldn't be because of gross Seattle weather ... and my reach-in fridge is only about 60% humidity, so I think I'll be calling customer service tomorrow to troubleshoot

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

The only solution I can think of is to seal the chocolates in plastic (per your comment on ziplock), but that defeats the purpose of your new case (I gather you are letting customers pick and choose the pieces they want--which is, of course, the ultimate way to sell decorated chocolates).  Is there any way to add a dehumidifier to the case?  If I recall correctly, @Kerry Beal wrote about this issue.  How much more expensive were display cases with humidity control?  I would think a fan would help a bit (though I have no knowledge about this), but I don't think much (aside from a dehumidifier) could counteract 70% humidity.

Yes, the idea is to let people pick and choose their favorites.  I do have a couple of boxed assortments in there that look fine, just the exposed ones look bad.  It's a (relatively) cheap refrigerated bakery case, I figured I could make it work one way or another but now I'm not sure what that way is.  The special chocolate cases are 3x the price, like all the special chocolate things 😜 

Edited to add:  current weather is reasonably dry, 72F & 40% humidity in the kitchen, so it shouldn't be because of gross Seattle weather ...

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

48 minutes ago, Jim D. said: