• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jimb0

jimb0

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

I like to offer butter in a little side dish (if butter is being offered at table) in order to not suffer the indignities of anything ending up in the butter writ large.

Otherwise, if I'm prepping the toast with butter and jam/jelly/marmalade/etc. in the kitchen, I am impeccably careful with the butter, and then I use a little spoon to remove said additional topping from its jar and onto the toast.

I also do have a ridiculous number of jams/jellies/etc. in the fridge and cupboards.

yeah i tend to leave a block of butter out for cooking and things (since we buy the big blocks, it stays fresh (thanks to the higher volume:surface area ratio) as dehydration and oxidation only happen on a sub-millimetre scale at the rate we use it), and if we need some to put on bread, a chunk gets deposited into one of the mise bowls or something

jimb0

jimb0

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

I like to offer butter in a little side dish (if butter is being offered at table) in order to not suffer the indignities of anything ending up in the butter writ large.

Otherwise, if I'm prepping the toast with butter and jam/jelly/marmalade/etc. in the kitchen, I am impeccably careful with the butter, and then I use a little spoon to remove said additional topping from its jar and onto the toast.

I also do have a ridiculous number of jams/jellies/etc. in the fridge and cupboards.

yeah i tend to leave a block of butter out for cooking and things (since we buy the big blocks, it stays fresh (thanks to the higher volume:surface area ratio) as dehydration and oxidation only happens on a sub-millimetre scale at the rate we use it), and if we need some to put on bread, a chunk gets deposited into one of the mise bowls or something