• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

donk79

donk79

16 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Beet sugar is more likely to be found in Europe - North America is pretty exclusively cane sugar.  

In the US (Mid-Atlantic region), beet sugar is quite common.  When I was keeping bees, I was taught to avoid it (right or wrong) when I made syrup to help the bees bulk up for winter.  Often (but not always) store brands were beet sugar.  Sometimes Dominoe was the only available came sugar and it was typically a bit more expensive than the beet sugars.

(Nota bene: It has been more than five years since I last had to feed bees).

donk79

donk79

16 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Beet sugar is more likely to be found in Europe - North America is pretty exclusively cane sugar.  

In the US, beet sugar is quite common.  When I was keeping bees, I was taught to avoid it (right or wrong) when I made syrup to help the bees bulk up for winter.  Often (but not always) store brands were beet sugar.  Sometimes Dominoe was the only available came sugar and it was typically a bit more expensive than the beet sugars.

(Nota bene: It has been more than five years since I last had to feed bees).